This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
Just when I thought I had a bit of a break from reviews, I received this one to get started on. I enjoyed the debut novel from this author, so I have high hopes for this one too.
***************
"What? Tell me, please. Why is he so ill?
"Not ill, miss." A disheartened sigh. "Poisoned."
~from page 156 of When Tomorrow Came by Hannah Linder
They Waited Their Whole Lives for Their Papa to Return
Nan and Heath Duncan, siblings abandoned by their papa and abused by their guardian, have no choice but to survive on the London streets. When a kind gentleman rescues Nan from such a life, the siblings are separated and raised in two vastly different social worlds. Just when both are beginning to flourish and years have healed some of their wounds, their long-awaited papa returns and reunites them―bringing demands with him. Nan is expected to marry a rich suitor she's never liked, and Heath is expected to forsake his gentle spirit and become the hardened man his father always was.
Dangers unfold, secret love develops, fights ensue, and murder upsets the worlds Heath and Nan have built for themselves.
They've waited their whole lives for their papa to return, for tomorrow to come―but now that it has, will they be able to see through to the truth and end this whirlwind of a nightmare before it costs one of their lives?
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your e-reader.
*Find a snippet, short and sweet.
*Post it, and share in the Linky.
***************
PROLOGUE
"All these years." His mouth dried as an acrid taste climbed his throat. He held her eyes, expecting there'd be precious tears, that in this moment―as he asked for her hand in marriage―she'd be looking at him with flashes of pleasure.
~From the beginning of When Tomorrow Came by Hannah Linder
Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader.
*It's Book Beginnings on Fridays! Time to gather with our fellow book lovers and share the opening sentence (or so) of the books we are reading this week. Or share from a book that is on your mind right now -- whatever catches your fancy.
***************
First Line Fridays is hosted at Reading is My SuperPower
*Share the first line or two of the book closest to you, then visit other FLF participants.
*Please keep posts family friendly or clean reads.
*Link back to Reading is My SuperPower within your post or grab a button.
***************
And here is the weekly bookish question in the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.
This Week's Question: Are books a must-have in your home?
My Answer: Oh yes, they certainly are! My husband and I are both avid readers, each with our own preferences and favorite authors, so we have both been collecting books since we were young. We also homeschooled our four kids so I collected a lot of books during those years. Over the years we've pared down our collections considerably, especially in our recent move, but books are still considered a necessity and I brought along two shelves worth that were non-negotiable. (A few bookcases and boxes full of books remain at our house in Maryland until we can bring them here or release them into the wild for others to enjoy.) Regular visits to the library for books are also a necessity!

©2008-2023 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.








Not ill---poisoned! Great beginning.
ReplyDeleteLove the beginning! And absolutely, books are a necessity. We can't keep every book we've ever had, but we have a pretty sizable permanent collection.
ReplyDeleteI grow up in a house fill with books so I can't imagen living without books.
ReplyDeleteI'm currently reading A Match in the Making by Jen Turano. It's so fun!
ReplyDelete"I don't believe you've thoroughly considered our current situation, Mrs. Parker," Gwendolyn said as she stuffed a bathing costume into the woven bag she was packing.
I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚
My first line this week is from Confessions to a Stranger by Danielle Grandinetti:
ReplyDeleteThe caw of a seagull yanked Adaleigh Stirland’s gaze from her worn journal.
I love books and want to keep them all but I need to make room for more new ones. Right now I’m re arranging them to accommodate a new desk coming in a few days.
I have seen her books going around a lot lately, I have not read her yet. I agree, books are a necessity. We also homeschooled and had quite the collection...which we've since pared down...yet I find myself going and looking for some of those books, sigh, LOL!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good one! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteBoth of my parents read all the time, and went to the library, etc. So yes books are an essential. Have a good weekend 😊
ReplyDeleteNot going to lie, I'm getting a little jealous of all you bloggers with husbands who also love to read. Mine does not, but he at least lets me surround myself with books. Have a great weekend. - Katie
ReplyDeleteMy BBH if you care to visit - https://justanothergirlandherbooks.blogspot.com/2023/03/book-blogger-hop-24-march-2023.html
I have always live in a house with books. I would feel strange not to have any.
ReplyDeleteI have this one on my tbr shelf and look forward to reading it!
ReplyDelete