Monday, March 27

Monthly Bookshelf Review - March 2023

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. 


“I read because books are a form of transportation, of teaching, and of connection! Books take us to places we’ve never been, they teach us about our world, and they help us to understand human experience.”
~Madeleine Riley, Top Shelf Text

I count it as a bit of a personal victory that I had more things to keep me busy during March, and perhaps read less. It's hard to say. I did finish and review four books and have five that I'm partway through now. Normally I don't have more than three at a time! 

March's Books Completed and Reviewed

In Spotlight and Shadow by Rachel Scott McDaniel - This review was posted the day after my last monthly bookshelf review. You can read it HERE.



Shirley, I Jest: A Storied Life by Cindy Williams - Stories and background on the career of the actress best known for starring in Laverne & Shirley. (Read my full review HERE)



The Cairo Curse by Pepper Basham - A honeymoon trip to Egypt is much more exciting than even the imaginative Grace expects, when she and her husband Frederick take it upon themselves to unravel a mystery that turns deadly. (Read my full review HERE)



If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't) by Betty White - A memoir consisting of short chapters of anecdotes from the beloved actress, about some of her favorite people and interests. (Read my full review HERE)

    


During March I started reading:

In The Shelter Of Hollythorne House by Sarah E. Ladd - I expect to post my review for this one soon. A young widow trying to protect her infant son reconnects with her first love, who just happens to be one of the watchmen assigned to protect her. Or is he really there to spy on her?



A Perilous Perspective by Anna Lee Huber - Kiera notices some valuable artwork at a country estate is forged, and as more questions are raised, the investigation turns deadly.



This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin - I started reading this exploration of how humans understand and interact with music, but have paused it so I can focus on the next book on my list . . .



After the Boxes Are Unpacked: Moving On After Moving In by Susan Miller - A dear friend sent me this book as we are both in the process of moving or settling into brand new surroundings. So much of this guidebook has been relevant and encouraging to me, and it's a comfort to know that the difficult emotional aspects of our move are not unusual or my imagination!



When Tomorrow Came by Hannah Linder  - Just started this book for review, and the main character is still a little girl as the story begins. She and her brother are orphans, and when little Nan is hurt in an accident, she is taken into the home of a well-to-do family and unintentionally separated from her brother. Will be interesting to see how this turns out!




Where My Books Took Me in March . . . On Budget Tales Book Blog, there's a monthly meme about "Places My Books Have Taken Me" along with a one-word summary or review of the book. Here's where I've traveled through the pages during the month, along with One Word to sum up the ones I finished.

Shirley, I Jest: A Storied Life had stories taking place in the US, mostly in California, and a couple of trips to Europe were included as well.
One Word: Comedic

The Cairo Curse took me from England to Cairo, Egypt.
One Word: Imagination

If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't) took place in the US, mostly in California.
One Word: Charming

In The Shelter Of Hollythorne House has me in Leeds, England.

A Perilous Perspective has taken me to Argyll, Scotland so far.

When Tomorrow Came has started out in the East End of London, England.


Coming Up in April!

Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn
Radio's Greatest of All Time by Rush Limbaugh with Kathryn Adams Limbaugh and David Limbaugh
Murder Most Fair by Anna Lee Huber
A Certain Darkness by Anna Lee Huber

   

   


What I'm Highlighting . . . Let me encourage you to take a look at my review of the movie His Only Son which will be in theaters starting March 31st. It's a wonderful movie that my husband and I both enjoyed, and there is a giveaway at the post as well. (And last I checked, there weren't a lot of entries) See it here: His Only Son - Movie Review and Giveaway



On my blogs recently . . . 

Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:



On Homeschool Coffee Break:



And on A Fresh Cup of Coffee:



This post will be linked at the current BookWorms Monthly link-up hosted by At Home A Lot; at Budget Tales Book Blog; and at the weekly reading list meme hosted at Book Date.

bookworms monthly linky

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



©2008-2023 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.



5 comments:

  1. Nice variety of books read in March. I like Anna Lee Huber's books and have enjoyed all the ones you spotlighted. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the celebrity books, but you have a great collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have fitted in some great books or are reading them. I like Anna Lee Huber, have read the second series there but not the first one with the forged artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like some interesting book for you this month. I must say I haven't heard of any of them! How thoughtful of your friend to get you the book about moving and how reassuring to know that lots of people feel the emotions.
    Popping over from Bookworms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love watching Laverne and Shirley, it seems like a lifetime ago now. I'm just going to check out your review for The Cairo Curse because that sounds like my kind of book. Thanks for linking up to Book worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.