Monday, June 2

May Bookshelf Review


As usual I had high hopes for what I was going to read during the month, but my expectations were also realistic. I picked up a review book that had a deadline, which meant spending a little less time on the books that did not have a deadline. 

May's Books Completed and Reviewed

Black Fog by KT McWilliams - Elizabeth Bowmar is a midwife in training in this story set in London in the 1600s. Elizabeth is one of the last to see Master Prowler alive, when she confronted him to pay properly for his wife's care during a difficult delivery. With the help of some trusted friends, Elizabeth sets out to find out who murdered him before she is the one taken up and accused. (Read my review HERE)



The Wedding Gift by Connilyn Cossette - This novella is a prequel to the King's Men series and introduces Shalem and his older cousins when they are young boys. (Read my review HERE)



Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn - Spy thriller meets murder mystery as four women, all retired professional assassins, realize that the firm they worked for is trying to kill them. They combine their skills and resources to protect each other, and naturally, to kill the would-be killers before they become victims. (Review coming!)



During May I started reading:

The Blind Scribe by Connilyn Cossette - I figured I should keep going and read this novella that follows The Wedding Gift.



Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery - This classic is the pick for an online book club I participate in sometimes, and since I like Montgomery and haven't even heard of this one, I challenged myself to get it read in time for the discussion.




Where My Books Took Me in May . . . Here's where I've traveled through the pages during the month, along with One Word to sum up the ones I finished.

Black Fog is set in London, England.
One Word: Suspicion

The Wedding Gift is set in ancient Israel.
One Word: Curiosity

Killers of a Certain Age begins on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean, moves to New Orleans, then to the UK, and then to Paris, before returning to the UK. Plus flashback scenes in the USA, UK, and Zanzibar.
One Word: Ruthless

The Blind Scribe is also set in ancient Israel.

Jane of Lantern Hill has started out in Toronto, Canada.

Coming Up in June!

I just moved Jane of Lantern Hill to "currently reading" status, but I still have Before Beauty in the queue, and wanted to move it up. I just received an invite to another review that I might take on ahead of it though. Pretty sure Murder Most Fair needs to be the next physical book I read, since I'm behind on that series!




On my blogs recently . . . 

Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:



On Homeschool Coffee Break:



And on A Fresh Cup of Coffee:



This post will be linked at Share Your Shelf hosted by Slices of Life.


©2008-2025 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


4 comments:

  1. Did you enjoy Killers of a Certain Age? I keep thinking I'm going to have more time to read than I actually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! I ordered the second one in that series and it should be arriving today. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Some of these caught my eye. I'm going to have to check them out.
    Visiting today from Share Your Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you wind up reading any of these! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.