Here's a quick update on what I've been reading and watching lately.
I'm currently reading . . .
Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery - I wasn't familiar with this novel by a favorite classic author, but it is the pick for an online book club. I'm really enjoying it so far - it's sweet and a little sentimental but I like Jane immensely and she's a character that seems to deserve a very happy ending.
The Mysterious Case of the Missing Crime Writer by Ragnar Jónasson - Last year one of the prompts for the 52 Book Club was a Nordic Noir, a genre I'd never heard of, but I found a book by Jónasson to review and quite enjoyed it. As a result I was offered this book to review now and decided to give it a try. I haven't read far enough yet to have many clues, but the mystery seems like a baffling one.
Murder Most Fair by Anna Lee Huber - I'd fallen behind on the Verity Kent series and this has been on my TBR pile for quite awhile, so I got started on it and am getting reacquainted with the characters as the new case is being introduced.
Up Next . . . On the TBR stack . . .
These are up next on my Kindle. I've got a few books on the physical stack too, but I haven't decided which of those will be next.
The Highland Heist by Pepper Basham - I'll be starting this one very soon, as it's a review.
Before Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Brittany Fichter - I keep meaning to start this, and something else inevitably gets ahead of it in the queue.
10 Marchfield Square by Nicola Whyte - This is on hold at the library and is in high demand, so whenever they tell me it's ready to pick up, I'll have to start reading right away!
I finished reading . . .
The Wedding Gift by Connilyn Cossette - This is a prequel novella that takes place several years before the King's Men series, giving background to the friendships between Avidan, Gavriel, Zevi, and Shalem. The boys are accused of stealing a valuable traditional gift that has disappeared ahead of their relative's wedding. (Read my review HERE)
The Blind Scribe by Connilyn Cossette - This story follows the events of The Wedding Gift. Shalem befriends a mysterious stranger who is also interested in words and languages. (Read my review HERE)
Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn - A spy thriller with a twist . . . four women in their sixties retire from their careers as elite assassins only to realize the organization they worked for is now targeting them and they will need to kill or be killed. (Read my review HERE)
I've been watching . . .
We've been watching some hockey - not much after the first round of playoffs, but now that it's the Stanley Cup finals, we're more interested again and have watched at least some of each of the finals games so far. My husband recommended a movie series he thought I would like so I've watched the first one with him - The King's Man - which I understand isn't actually the first movie in the series, but a prequel movie. In any case, I did enjoy it so I imagine we'll watch the other movies over the summer.
I've been listening to . . .
Continuing with my usual podcast playlist, which includes The Bible Book Club, The Bible Project, and political commentary podcasts. Listened to more Jordan Peterson and some Kirk Cameron podcasts lately. My music playlist has been RadioU and my collections of favorites. Not much changes in my listening selections although I've been tweaking my playlists and adding some new things.
On my blogs recently . . .
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
On my main coffee break project, A Fresh Cup of Coffee:
This post may be linked at What's On Your Bookshelf? #whatsonyourbookshelfchallenge hosted by Deb's World, and/or at the weekly reading list meme hosted at Book Date.

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
















10 Marchfield Square and Killers of a Certain Age both sound like my kind of books. I'm off to see if they're available at the library.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed Killers, and I have high hopes for Marchfield Square. It was mentioned on a book blog (wish I remembered whose!) as having a vibe kind of like the TV show Only Murders In the Building, which I love. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
DeleteKillers of a Certain Age sounds like a book I would enjoy, Kym. I haven't read any that you have suggested but thanks for the Prequel Prompt tip for the 52 Book Club Challenge. Thanks for joining us for What's On Your Bookshelf? Happy Reading. Sue L xx
ReplyDeleteThat's been one of my favorite reads so far this year. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
DeleteI keep seeing Killers of a certain age - the title cracks me up!
ReplyDeleteYes it's quite the memorable title, isn't it? The sequel to it is Kills Well With Others, which makes me laugh as well. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
DeleteHi, Kym - I haven't yet read any of the books that you have featured here. But I have heard great things about 'Before Beauty' by Brittany Fichter. Like you, I keep meaning to read this, but other books always seem to jump the queue! <3
ReplyDeleteHope we can both get to the books we've been "meaning to read" soon! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
DeleteOh I must look for that LM Montgomery book as I enjoy her writing! Thanks for joining us Kym.
ReplyDeleteI found it free (or very cheap anyway) on Kindle. It's a charming read. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Delete