Tuesday, July 12

Recent Reads {Here Burns My Candle}



Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs - Having finished Higgs' Scottish setting novels featuring Leana and Jamie and their family, I couldn't resist delving into another Higgs novel.  This one parallels the Biblical story of Ruth, setting the action in Edinburgh, Scotland, during the Jacobite rebellion.  Lady Elisabeth Kerr and her mother-in-law Lady Marjory Kerr, are the heroines of the story.  Elisabeth is a Highland commoner who has married into the Kerr's noble family.  The family's loyalties are divided between the Jacobite cause and their traditionally royalist leanings.  Readers familiar with Ruth's story will anticipate many aspects of the story but I certainly didn't find it diminished my enjoyment of it at all.  Keep a tissue box handy!

By the same author:  Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, Whence Came a Prince, Grace in Thine Eyes

2 comments:

  1. [...] my last Journal I have finished Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs, The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn, Healer by Linda Windsor, and Jane Fairfax [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] the same author:  Here Burns My Candle, Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, Whence Came A Prince, Grace in Thine [...]

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.