Friday, October 2

Recent Reads - A Curious Beginning

This post may contain affiliate links. 

A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell Mystery, #1)

A Curious Beginning: A Veronica Speedwell Mystery by Deanna Raybourn - I've made no secret of the fact that Deanna Raybourn is one of my very favorite authors; and it makes me sad to think that her Lady Julia Grey series had come to an end. But knowing that she was beginning a new series softened that blow considerably! I was delighted when A Curious Beginning arrived for me to start reading - I wanted to devour the whole thing at a sitting, but I also knew there would be a lengthy wait for the next installment once I did, so I paced myself a little bit.

Veronica Speedwell is the star of this new series set in Victorian England. We meet Veronica as she is paying her last respects to her guardian, and preparing to set off on her own adventures now that her last tie to England is gone. Her plans for butterfly hunting in exotic locales are thwarted when a mysterious German baron rescues her from an attempted abduction and indicates that he has information about her background and parentage. He insists that she is in danger and leaves her under the protection of his friend, the reclusive Stoker. Then the baron is murdered, and Veronica and Stoker realize that they are not only in real danger, but that they may be suspects as well. They must work together to unravel the mysteries of who murdered the baron and why, and how it relates to Veronica's mysterious past.

When the truth about Veronica's parents is finally revealed, it's a bombshell - a real surprise that takes the tale through another few twists and turns before the conclusion. And of course the conclusion of this book sets up more adventures to come!

This story is full of odd and eccentric characters, with the unflappable and intrepid Veronica leading the way. She is unconventional and practical, counting herself an adventurer and scientist. Stoker has his own mysterious past and secrets, and his personality is prickly and temperamental, yet he is also completely loyal and chivalrous. Their partnership holds plenty of promise for what I hope will be a long series of adventures and mysteries to solve.

By the same author: Night of a Thousand StarsBonfire NightTwelfth NightCity of JasmineWhisper of JasmineMidsummer NightA Spear of Summer GrassSilent in the GraveSilent in the SanctuaryDark Road to DarjeelingThe Dark EnquirySilent NightThe Dead Travel Fast

©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.