Friday, January 8

Back to the Classics Challenge 2016

This post contains affiliate links.

Back to the Classics Challenge 2016 on Just A Second @ JustASecondBlog.blogspot.com

I've been debating over whether to do specific reading challenges this year, or even whether to set a goal for a number of books to read. I'm still thinking about some of the many challenges out there, but here's one that I came across while reading at North Laurel Musings that got my attention. Enough attention that I've even started working on it, so I figured I'd better share that I'm signing up!

This is the Back to the Classics Challenge for 2016, hosted at Books and Chocolate. I love books. I love chocolate. Perfect. But let's focus on the challenge. The idea is to rediscover and enjoy classic books, so the challenge is to read twelve classic books in the following categories:

  1. A 19th Century Classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.
  2. A 20th Century Classic - any book published between 1900 and 1966.
  3. A classic by a woman author 
  4. A classic in translation - any book originally written and published in a language other than your native language.
  5. A classic by a non-white author - can be African-American, Asian, Latino, Native American, etc.
  6. An adventure classic - can be fiction or non-fiction.
  7. A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic
  8. A classic detective novel - It must include a detective, amateur or professional.
  9. A classic which includes the name of a place in the title - It can be the name of a house, a town, a street, etc. 
  10. A classic which has been banned or censored - If possible, mention why it was banned or censored.
  11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college)
  12. A volume of classic short stories - This must be one complete volume, at least 8 short stories.
Of course, there are prizes! Visit the Back to the Classics 2016 Challenge at Books and Chocolate for all the details and rules.

Thankfully, we do not have to read these in the order given, and we don't have to state ahead of time what we're planning to read in each category. I've got some ideas, but have only made one decision so far, and that is the book that I just started. I'm reading the volume of classic short stories first, and the collection I've chosen is White Nights and Other Stories by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, a collection originally published in 1918.


©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the classics over newer fiction being written. Give me Shakespeare and Bronte any day!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.