Tuesday, August 15

Recent Reads - Barbara and Susan's Guide to the Empty Nest

This post contains affiliate links. 


Barbara and Susan's Guide to the Empty Nest by Barbara Rainey and Susan Yates - I felt compelled to review this book for Bethany House because my own empty nest years will probably be upon me way before I'm ready! I do hope it will be at least a few more years before my youngest leaves home, but it's in sight, and it does get me feeling anxious and worried sometimes.

This book acknowledges the very real pain and loss moms can feel when their children grow up and leave home. That's the goal we all have as parents - to raise our children to be responsible adults - but when it happens we are left with a lot of mixed emotions and perhaps a sense that we're not sure what our purpose is any more. By being honest and open about that mixed bag, and especially the negative emotions in it, the authors give practical and Biblical advice on dealing with loneliness and disappointments, building up your marriage in this new season, relating well with your adult kids, and rediscovering your identity and purpose. Both authors share personal stories of their own experiences throughout, and there are lots of other short stories of other parents' experiences and how they coped. Each chapter ends with some practical steps to take in dealing with the issue addressed, as well as some suggestions for further reading, and a longer personal story from an empty nest mom. There are also a couple appendices with practical help, including things to consider for those looking after their own parents. And there's a study and discussion guide for those who would like to read and discuss the book within a group.

The overall focus is positive and empowering, encouraging moms to celebrate this new season in their lives and embrace the new possibilities, adventures, and ministry opportunities that come with it. I'm still in no hurry for my kids to fly the nest, but I feel better prepared for what I might experience when it does happen, and hopefully I'll handle it well. 


From the publisher:

Finding new joy and purpose after the kids leave home.

Feeling uncertain? Scared? Or maybe a little giddy? Your nest is empty, except for a bundle of mixed emotions. As you grieve what's behind you and daydream about the future, you're ready for new adventures. But you might not know where to start!

What you need is a girlfriend who "gets it." Someone who understands the challenges you're facing and speaks with wisdom from a few steps ahead on the journey. Barbara and Susan can be the friends you need to walk you through such questions as:

Who am I now? What should I do with myself?
Does anyone need me? How do I relate to my children? And how will it affect my marriage?
Is it okay to feel sad? Or even thrilled?

They'll walk you through ways to celebrate your past and your future, as well as encourage you to consider a brand-new calling for your life. Let Barbara and Susan shine light on your path, making this next season your best yet!




Visit the Baker Publishing Group for info on where to buy.




©2008-2017 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.