
Voyager by Diana Gabaldon - The third in Gabaldon's Outlander series picks up both Claire's story and Jamie's story where they left off in Dragonfly in Amber. Jamie regains consciousness after being wounded at Culloden in 1746, and we follow him through all his troubles and adventures for about twenty years. Interspersed with the chapters about Jamie are chapters which pick up Claire's story in 1968, when Roger Wakefield reveals that Jamie Fraser likely did not die at Culloden as she had believed. Her part of the story is told in her familiar first person, but also with flashbacks telling many details of the previous twenty years of her life, and that of her daughter, Brianna. Eventually, Claire, Brianna, and Roger gather enough documents and evidence to trace Jamie Fraser to Edinburgh twenty years after Culloden; and with Brianna's blessing, Claire returns to the past through the stones. That's the first third of the book. :-) The remainder tells of the reunion of Claire and Jamie and many more dangers and trials for them to overcome. Jamie has by that time collected several aliases and is a smuggler and a printer. Almost as soon as Claire arrives in Edinburgh, there is a fire at the printer's shop and a near disaster with the smuggling operation, so Jamie and Claire return to Lallybroch, where Claire's arrival creates quite the stir, in ways both expected and unanticipated! Later, Jamie and Claire embark on a lengthy sea voyage (and you may remember that Jamie suffers disastrously from seasickness) in search of Jamie's nephew who has been kidnapped for reasons unknown.
Even without knowing that there are still several more novels in the series, it was clear to me that at least one more installment would be forthcoming as I read the final chapters. There is still a potential danger to Brianna, and although it seems Geillie is truly dead this time (yes, she reappears in the Indies), we had thought that before so I'm inclined to be skeptical.
As in the previous two books, I often felt overwhelmed by the sheer size of the story, but was also invested in the characters and the thrill of wondering what they would encounter next that I kept turning the pages. Once again, it's time to think ahead to the next novel in the series!
Even without knowing that there are still several more novels in the series, it was clear to me that at least one more installment would be forthcoming as I read the final chapters. There is still a potential danger to Brianna, and although it seems Geillie is truly dead this time (yes, she reappears in the Indies), we had thought that before so I'm inclined to be skeptical.
As in the previous two books, I often felt overwhelmed by the sheer size of the story, but was also invested in the characters and the thrill of wondering what they would encounter next that I kept turning the pages. Once again, it's time to think ahead to the next novel in the series!
By the same author: Dragonfly in Amber, Outlander
(Book #23 in the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge)

©2008-2014 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.