Saturday, August 16

Recent Reads - Loyal In Love

Loyal in Love: Henrietta Maria, Wife of Charles I (Queens of England, #1)
Loyal In Love by Jean Plaidy - I have read a number of Jean Plaidy's biographical novels, and the historical novels she has written under other names, and generally I enjoy them. This story in the Queens of England series was interesting, but not a favorite of mine. It is the story of Henrietta Maria, the French Princess married to Charles I of England. As usual, Plaidy delivers a novelization of history that is rich in detail and background, and highlights the personalities of historical figures. However, in this case I didn't find Henrietta Maria to be very likable, so I often found myself rather unsympathetic to her in a tale told from her point of view. 

Henrietta was self-centered and short-sighted, and for most of her life cared only for her opinions and desires. She was staunchly Catholic, having been raised in France, and part of the purpose in marrying her to Charles of England was the hope that she would be able to turn the Stuarts and England itself back to Catholicism. In her loyalty to her religion, she offended many in England by refusing to be crowned as Queen (because it was a Protestant ceremony), and stubbornly quarreled often with the nobility and even with Charles I over religious matters. She was fiercely loyal to Charles, however, and they were devoted to one another and to their children. When Oliver Cromwell's Puritans came into control of the Parliament and clashed with Charles, Henrietta worked tirelessly to help Charles hold his throne, even traveling to Holland to request support from the Prince of Orange. Later, after Charles I had been captured and executed by the Roundhead Parliament, Henrietta turned her scheming to try and help her son Charles regain the throne.

Henrietta never gave up her hope that her son Charles would win back his throne, but she also sparred with each of her children over religion, refusing to see one of her sons because he would not convert to Catholicism. She felt that she was always working for the good of her children, but as I was reading, I felt that she was meddlesome and judgmental, imposing her own opinions and preferences on all those around her. Although I didn't really like Henrietta very much, I did enjoy reading her story and learning a bit more about her side of the story during this tumultuous period of England's history.


(Book #34 in the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge)

©2008-2014 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting series to read, even though this particular book wasn't your favorite one. My daughters and I enjoy history and historical fiction. Reading this series would certainly add another dimension to our homeschool history curriculum.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.