Thursday, July 7

Recent Reads - Lady of Ashes

This post contains affiliate links.



Lady of Ashes by Christine Trent - I believe I saw this book cover on another book blog and was intrigued enough to look it up at my library. It's a mystery set in Victorian London, and with a woman undertaker as the main character. Pretty unusual profession for a protagonist, never mind that it's a woman!

Violet Morgan has been assisting her husband Graham in his undertaking business, and has a real affinity for her work. In fact, she is actually better suited to it than Graham is. Their relationship is deteriorating, and Violet is beginning to suspect that he and his brother are involved in a shady scheme of some sort. Graham is also not happy that Violet has taken in an orphan she found hiding in the shop. In other chapters, there are seemingly unrelated scenes involving American diplomats working in London (the setting is during the American Civil War), and scenes with Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, and British heads of government. Eventually the different scenes begin to merge together when Graham and his brother are involved in a blockade running scheme and their American contact visits the house frequently. Then when Prince Albert dies, the Queen requests Violet's involvement in planning the funeral.

After Graham and his brother disappear, it appears Violet may have a new suitor for her attention. But she's also noticed something strange about some of the bodies she deals with, and suspects a murderer is at large. Is there anyone she can trust? Especially once Susanna (the orphan that Violet has 'adopted' as her own) is kidnapped, and the only conclusion is that she is being held by the murderer. Violet must find a way to rescue Susanna and bring the killer to justice before their terrible threats are carried out.

Although at first the various different stories seem unrelated, they do come together and it all makes sense. The identity of the murderer is a clever secret - at one point I was pretty sure I knew who it was, but I was very wrong! There are several red herrings thrown in along the way. Highly recommended to those who enjoy historical setting mysteries and strong female characters.

An author's note at the end explains all the real characters and situations that made appearances in the book, which I found very interesting as well.

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.