Thursday, July 21

Recent Reads - Shades of Milk and Honey

This post contains affiliate links. 


Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal - I'd seen a couple of reviews of this Austen-inspired novel that intrigued me, so when I happened upon it at the library, I jumped at the opportunity to read it for myself. Basically, this is a Regency setting where magic is real. It's possible to pull threads and folds of glamour from the ether in the air and create works of art with it; and developing this art form is very desirable in society.

Jane Ellsworth is a skilled glamourist, but she is getting past marriageable age, and her younger sister Melody is much more beautiful and earns more attention from eligible young men. Until a new family comes to their neighborhood and seems to favor Jane over her sister; and another neighbor brings a celebrated artist to create glamurals in her home. Mr Dunkirk, Mr Vincent, and many other characters reminded me sometimes of the people in Austen's novels, as did some of the settings and general situations, but the addition of the magical world of glamour gave a new twist to the story. Jane's family is threatened, and she rises to the occasion, and also stumbles into her own love story, much to her surprise and satisfaction.

Overall, I enjoyed this story and its unique combination of fantasy and standard Regency made for an easy read. However, the writing was a little flat, and although there are "continuing adventures of Jane and Vincent" in subsequent novels, this one ended with very little impetus for me to want to read more. An enjoyable read, but not one I'm passionate about; and I never did figure out how the title related to the story.

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.