Tuesday, July 19

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter First Paragraph - Timebound

This post contains affiliate links. 
Teaser

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers! 
She reached the door and then looked back, a stern expression on her face. "And you absolutely must not hold the medallion again until you are ready. It was careless of me to leave it on the counter like that, but I had no idea that you would be able to trigger it." She shook her head briskly. "You very nearly left us, young lady, and I'm afraid that you would not have found your way back."
~Timebound (The Chronos Files)by Rysa Walker, at 8% on my Kindle



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading.

Prologue
Chicago - October 1893


  The heel of my white kidskin boot ripped a six-inch gash in the hem of my skirt as I whipped around the corner. Behind me, the footsteps halted for just an instant, and then continued, faster than before. I ducked into the next corridor, silently cursing the gods of 1890s fashion. Had I been in my usual shorts and T-shirt, I would have been out of this wretched hotel long ago. A solid kick to the head would have rendered the good doctor unconscious and the side of my neck wouldn't be screaming in agony.
  I darted across the hallway and took a left at the next intersection, hoping that the doctor would assume that I'd taken the quicker, easier turn to the right. Three doors down, I jiggled the knob on the off chance that it was unlocked. No luck. I pressed myself as close to the door as possible and pulled out the medallion. The center glowed, surrounding me with soft blue light. Even though I knew he couldn't see the light, I felt exposed. How many women had he lured into this confusing maze of corridors during the past year? Were any of them still alive?




Here's the blurb:

When Kate Pierce-Keller's grandmother gives her a strange blue medallion and speaks of time travel, sixteen-year-old Kate assumes the old woman is delusional. But it all becomes horrifyingly real when a murder in the past destroys the foundation of Kate's present-day life. Suddenly, that medallion is the only thing protecting Kate from blinking out of existence.

Kate learns that the 1893 killing is part of something much more sinister, and her genetic ability to time travel makes Kate the only one who can fix the future. Risking everything, she travels back in time to the Chicago World's Fair to try to prevent the murder and the chain of events that follows.

Changing the timeline comes with a personal cost - if Kate succeeds, the boys she loves will have no memory of her existence. And regardless of her motives, does Kate have the right to manipulate the fate of the entire world?

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. I like the opening and I like time travel books ... so yeah, I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so fascinating! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “HERE’S TO US”

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a scary medallion.

    Mine is here: http://www.aliceaudrey.com/?p=14165

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one on my shelf somewhere. It is an intriguing plot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not my usual genre but his sounds intriguing. I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely read time travel books. Perhaps I should try some again.

    My TT from A Whole Lotta ARCS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sorry no time travel for me. I hope you like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. +JMJ+

    "The gods of 1890s fashion"--LOL! But now that I think about it, I've worn boots with long skirts and managed to rip holes in them, too. It's an elegant look, but watch how you walk!

    Here's my Teaser for the week!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.