Tuesday, July 12

Teaser Tuesday/First Chapter First Paragraph - Shades of Milk and Honey

This post contains affiliate links. 
Teaser

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers! 

Jane suddenly realized that Melody had slipped out of the room without any of them noticing. She sprang to her feet, forgetting the effort she had just expended on glamour. The room spun around her, darkened, and she tumbled to the floor.
~Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal, page 57


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading. 


One
Jasmine and Honeysuckle

   The Ellsworths of Long Parkmead had the regard of their neighbours in every respect. The Honourable Charles Ellsworth, though a second son, through the generosity of his father had been entrusted with an estate in the neighbourhood of Dorchester. It was well appointed and used only enough glamour to enhance its natural grace, without overlaying so much illusion as to be tasteless. His only regret, for the estate was a fine one, was that it was entailed, and as he had only two daughters, his elder brother's son stood next in line to inherit it. Knowing that, he took pains to set aside some of his income each annum for the provision of his daughters.
   The sum was not so large as he wished it might be, but he hoped it would prove enough to attract appropriate husbands for his daughters. Of his younger daughter, Melody, he had no concerns, for she had a face made for future. His older daughter, Jane, made up for her deficit of beauty with rare taste and talent in the womanly arts. Her skill with glamour, music, and painting was surpassed by none in their neighbourhood and together lent their home the appearance of wealth far beyond their means.



Here's the blurb:

Shades of Milk and Honey is an intimate portrait of Jane Ellsworth, a woman ahead of her time in a world where the manipulation of glamour is considered an essential skill for a lady of quality. But despite the prevalence of magic in everyday life, other aspects of Dorchester's society are not that different: Jane and her sister Melody's lives still revolve around vying for the attentions of eligible men.

Jane resists this fate, and rightly so: while her skill with glamour is remarkable, it is her sister who is fair of face, and therefore wins the lion's share of the attention. At the ripe old age of twenty-eight, Jane has resigned herself to being invisible forever. But when her family's honor is threatened, she finds that she must push her skills to the limit in order to set things right--and in the process, accidentally wanders into a love story of her own.

This debut novel from an award-winning talent scratches a literary itch you never knew you had. Like wandering onto a secret picnic attended by Pride and Prejudice and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Shades of Milk and Honey is precisely the sort of tale we would expect from Jane Austen . . . if only she had been a fantasy writer.

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Sounds very tempting! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE MELODY LINGERS ON”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good one. Will have to put on my list. Hope you enjoy it. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books that involve magic! I hope you are enjoying this one. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a bit dry for my taste. I might read more to see if it picks up as I like Historical Fiction about strong women. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The writing style seems a bit off putting for my taste. I do hope you like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'd keep reading. Wish I could right now. LOL

    My TT from Over Easy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't love the opener but I like the premise. I guess I'd have to read a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of how I am feeling about this. The writing hasn't grabbed me, but the premise is so intriguing that I'm going ahead with it to see what happens.

      Delete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.