This post may contain affiliate links.

Suddenly Mrs. Darcy
by Jenetta James - If I ever meet Ms James, I will probably need to apologize for being overly skeptical about her book when I started reading. However, I have had the misfortune of reading some truly awful Austen fan fiction and P&P alternatives or sequels, so perhaps it is understandable that I feared Suddenly Mrs. Darcy would prove to be as disappointing. Happily for me, Ms James has written an alternative storyline for our beloved Darcy and Elizabeth that is both credible and (mostly) tasteful.
At the Netherfield Ball, Darcy and Elizabeth step into one of the alcoves as he has decided to warn her against Wickham's schemes, and Mrs Bennet happens upon them. She jumps to the conclusion that they are in a compromising situation and begins to demand that Darcy marry Elizabeth. Of course Darcy readily agrees, much to Elizabeth's surprise and chagrin, despite her own protests that nothing untoward took place. Within a very short period of time, Darcy and Elizabeth are married, and begin their life together.
The entire story is told from Elizabeth's point of view, as if she was writing in her personal journal, so we see only her perspective. Of course, we know that Darcy is already quite in love with her, but since he does not say so, Elizabeth does not realize this, and the uncertain relationship between them experiences ups and downs as Elizabeth begins to love her husband but is unsure of exactly what he feels for her. Add the insenstive and resentful Lady Catherine's pronouncements that 'everyone knows' Darcy has a mistress in London and some other misunderstandings and insecurities, and the tale grows even more interesting.
Naturally there are happy endings for the major characters, and even Lydia, Wickham, and Mr Collins don't make out too poorly. For the most part, I felt that characters were consistent with those created by Jane Austen, although at times Elizabeth seemed a bit more timid than I might have expected. My only real complaint was that the Prologue gave me reason for concern that the rest of the book might be filled with graphic bedroom scenes. I was very glad that the remainder of the book was tasteful and discreet in its description.
At the Netherfield Ball, Darcy and Elizabeth step into one of the alcoves as he has decided to warn her against Wickham's schemes, and Mrs Bennet happens upon them. She jumps to the conclusion that they are in a compromising situation and begins to demand that Darcy marry Elizabeth. Of course Darcy readily agrees, much to Elizabeth's surprise and chagrin, despite her own protests that nothing untoward took place. Within a very short period of time, Darcy and Elizabeth are married, and begin their life together.
The entire story is told from Elizabeth's point of view, as if she was writing in her personal journal, so we see only her perspective. Of course, we know that Darcy is already quite in love with her, but since he does not say so, Elizabeth does not realize this, and the uncertain relationship between them experiences ups and downs as Elizabeth begins to love her husband but is unsure of exactly what he feels for her. Add the insenstive and resentful Lady Catherine's pronouncements that 'everyone knows' Darcy has a mistress in London and some other misunderstandings and insecurities, and the tale grows even more interesting.
Naturally there are happy endings for the major characters, and even Lydia, Wickham, and Mr Collins don't make out too poorly. For the most part, I felt that characters were consistent with those created by Jane Austen, although at times Elizabeth seemed a bit more timid than I might have expected. My only real complaint was that the Prologue gave me reason for concern that the rest of the book might be filled with graphic bedroom scenes. I was very glad that the remainder of the book was tasteful and discreet in its description.
Wondering if you're joining the Austen in August monthlong focus on JA / JAFF reading ?
ReplyDeleteLink button in my sidebar in case you haven't already signed up - def worth it for the fun, new finds, and great giveaways :)
Thanks for the tip - I will check it out!
DeleteDear Kym, thank you for taking the time to read Suddenly Mrs Darcy and for this thoughtful review. Best wishes, Jenetta
ReplyDeleteThank you for coming by to see what I thought! Keep up the good work.! :-)
DeleteLovely review! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteVery nice review.
ReplyDelete