Monday, September 7

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter First Paragraph - September 8, 2015

This post may contain affiliate links.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
    She took the mug from Doctor Luther and swallowed a drink. The hot liquid burned the roof of her mouth and scalded her throat. "There, Wolfgang." She returned the mug to Doctor Luther and finally allowed herself to take a step away. "Now Doctor Luther and I shall die together."
     ~Luther and Katharina: A Novel of Love and Rebellion by Jody Hedlund, page 37


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     
    First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.


    Before dawn on Easter morning, 1523
       Time to jump.
       With trembling legs tangling in her scapular, Katharina crouched on the stone ledge of the window and peered down at the matted grass, still hard and untouched by spring. She blinked back a wave of dizziness and hoped the two-story drop wasn't as far as it looked.
       The blackness of the barren cloister yard spread before her -- the neatly trimmed hedges, the gardens, and the thick stone wall beyond. Nothing moved. No one was in sight . . . although anyone could be hidden in the thousands of shadows the April moonlight couldn't reach.
       "Jump, my lady." Greta nudged her. Her tight wimple framed delicate features showing the strain of anxiety. "We've waited long enough."
       "You must help lower me." Katharina clutched her maidservant's arm to steady herself. She took a last deep breath of the familiar mustiness of the abbey, then swung her feet over the edge.

    (Find out more at the publisher's website.)


    Here's the blurb:

    She was a nun of noble birth. He, a heretic, a reformer... an outlaw of the Holy Roman Empire.

    In the 16th century, nun Katharina von Bora's fate fell no further than the Abbey. Until she read the writings of Martin Luther.

    His sweeping Catholic church reformation-- condemning a cloistered life and promoting the goodness of marriage -- awakened her desire for everything she'd been forbidden. Including Martin Luther himself.

    Despite the fact that the attraction and tension between them is undeniable, Luther holds fast to his convictions and remains isolated, refusing to risk anyone's life but his own. And Katharina longs for love, but is strong-willed. She clings proudly to her class distinction, pining for nobility over the heart of a reformer. They couldn't be more different.

    But as the world comes tumbling down around them, and with Luther's threatened life a constant strain, these unlikely allies forge an unexpected bond of understanding, support and love.

    Together they will alter the religious landscape forever.

    What do you think? Would you continue reading?

    ©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

    14 comments:

    1. That sounds so interesting, I haven't heard of this one but it's definitely going on my wishlist!
      http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/tuesday-intros-and-teaser-tuesdays_8.html

      ReplyDelete
    2. OMG. I would have to read at least the next few lines to decide!
      trish - my teaser

      ReplyDelete
    3. Wow, I am intrigued...and I definitely want to know more! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “MY SALINGER YEAR”

      ReplyDelete
    4. That sounds really good. I'm curious.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Your Teaser definitely intrigues me. Is she drinking poison? I enjoy historical fiction, so this one is going on my TBR list.
      My Tuesday post features Shadow of the Hawk.

      ReplyDelete
    6. The opening leave me wanting more! Hope you enjoy it.

      ReplyDelete
    7. That's quite a teaser! Intense. This particular time period in history is so interesting. I'm familiar with some of Martin Luther's history, especially as it pertains to the church. This would make an interesting read, I think, even as fiction.

      ReplyDelete
    8. This sounds interesting. The opening really made me want to know more. Happy reading!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Would love to read this, sounds really good.

      http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2015/09/teaser-tuesday_8.html

      ReplyDelete
    10. It's a very good intro, but not a book I would normally choose. Hope you enjoy it Kym.

      ReplyDelete
    11. I wish she hadn't drank it...drunk it????...imbibed.

      ReplyDelete

    Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.