Tuesday, May 3

Teaser Tuesday/First Chapter First Paragraph - The Curiosity Keeper

This post contains affiliate links.
Teaser

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers! 
Her father had left her alone - again - to pursue one of his clandestine business arrangements. He'd invited the murderous stranger to their door and not bothered to meet the man there. He'd even taken Tevy, her one defense against anyone stronger than her. Why should she risk her life to stay and guard his treasures?
~The Curiosity Keeper (A Treasures of Surrey Novel) by Sarah E. Ladd, page 49


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.


IVERNESS CURIOSITY SHOP, LONDON, ENGLAND, 1812

   Camille Iverness met the big man's gaze.
   Bravely.
   Boldly.
   She would not be bullied or manipulated. Not in her own shop.
   Camille recognized the expression in the man's eye. He did not want to speak with her, a mere woman. Not when the owner of the shop was James Iverness.
   But James Iverness -- her father -- was not present.
   She was.
   She jutted her chin out in a show of confidence, refusing to even blink as he pinned her with a steely stare.



Here's the blurb:

Camille Iverness can take care of herself. She's done so since the day her mother abandoned the family and left Camille to run their shabby curiosity shop. But when a violent betrayal leaves her injured with no place to hide, Camille, must allow a mysterious stranger to come to her aid.

Jonathan Gilchrist never wanted to inherit Kettering Hall. As a second son, he was content to work as the village apothecary. But when his brother's death made him heir just as his father's foolish decisions put the estate at risk, only the sale of a priceless possession - a ruby called the Bevoy - can save the family from ruin. But the gem has disappeared. And all trails lead to Iverness Curiosity Shop - and the beautiful shop girl who may be the answer to his many questions.

Caught at the intersection of blessings and curses, greed and deceit, these two determined souls must unite to protect what they hold dear. But when a passion that shines far brighter than any gem is ignited, they will have to decide how much they are willing to risk for their future, love, and happiness. 

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. I'd definitely keep reading this one. Lovely cover and great title too!

    My TT from Onyx Webb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of historical novels these days for some reason but, I do try some. I hope u enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new to me author. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed a few of her previous novels, so I'm looking forward to this one.

      Delete
  4. Humm, this one didn't grab me, but I hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep reading!

    mine: https://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/teaser-tuesday/

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.