Monday, August 29

Bookshelf Review - August 2016 (What I'm Reading - August 29, 2016)

This post contains affiliate links.

August's Books Completed and Reviewed

The Boden Birthright: A Cimarron Legacy Novella - an interesting novella introducing the patriarch of the Boden family, whose story continues in No Way Up. (Read my full review HERE.)
It was early afternoon when Pa died, though Veronica felt as if she'd lived an eternity. The rest of that day was a blur of pain and loss and, for heaven's sake, marriage.



A Pressing Engagement (A Lady Darby Mystery) by Anna Lee Huber - a short prequel to the fifth novel in this series, which I hope will arrive for me to read soon! (Read my full review HERE.)
By the time the coach pulled to a stop outside St. Giles Cathedral, the time had grown far later than either of us had anticipated. The square to the east of the cathedral was empty, and for a moment I worried that Bonnie Brock had given up on us.



During August I continued reading:

The Winter Crown: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Elizabeth Chadwick - I'd hoped to finish this during the past week on vacation, but didn't do much reading after all.
"Yes, Mama. Only give power to men you trust, and always make sure you have more than they do." Alienor smiled. "Just so," she said. 




During August I started reading:


A Tapestry of Secrets by Sarah Loudin Thomas - This read is from a series I have really enjoyed, and is for a Bethany House review coming soon.
Perla squared her shoulders as best she could. Life was a journey, and she was determined not to let this stroke business sidetrack her. She needed to get her voice back so she could tell Ella and Sadie what they needed to know.

   


The Circle of Ceridwen: Book One, by Octavia Randolph - I got started on this on a recommendation from a friend, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy the writing style. I'm not very far into yet, though, and have enough other things on my plate that I will probably shelve it for the time being and come back to it a bit later.
And we nodded at this, and then I thought of the men outside and their swords and spears, and thought also of my dead father and kinsman, and said inwardly, Yes, and yet those thegns will take cold iron every time, for by their iron is life or death.



During August I shelved:


The Pharaoh's Daughter: A Treasures of the Nile Novel by Mesu Andrews - I set aside this novel about the Egyptian princess that adopted Moses for a little while. I was enjoying it, but couldn't keep up with the number of books I had going during this busy month.


Timebound (The Chronos Files)by Rysa Walker - this just never grabbed my attention the way I'd hoped. I may pick it up again sometime, but I had too many other things to read and do lately.



Coming Up in September!

What's On Your Nightstand

badge

I'll be linking this post up for the weekly reading list meme is hosted at Book Date, and at Tales of a Pee Dee Mama for D.E.A.R. Monday (Drop Everything And Read).

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

  1. The Winter Crown looks good. I've added it to my list. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to start Sarah Loudin Thomas series for awhile now. I read the novella in the series and really enjoyed it. Hope to get to them soon. Hope you enjoy them!

    I'm visiting from the 'What's on your nightstand' link-up. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed the Sarah Loudin Thomas series, which has surprised me a little because they're a more contemporary setting.

      Delete
  3. This is my first time visiting your blog and I LOVE IT! As soon as I finish this Classic Club challenge (2017) I am going to get back to reviewing the books that I want to read. I will be visiting you often to add to that list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! I'll be checking out your blog as well.

      Delete
  4. I'm not surprised you ended up shelving a few this past month - I've never been able to keep as much fiction going at a time as it seems you have. Two at a time is probably my max for fiction (nonfiction, on the other hand...)

    Thanks for visiting bekahcubed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on how much time I have to read, I can usually keep several going at once, but one will always take the priority. I just haven't had enough time lately. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. The Winter Crown and A Tapestry of Secrets sound really good to me - I had never heard of either of them before. Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like some great novels here! I'll have to return when I'm ready for my next dose of fiction. I've currently got a stack to get through first. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.