This post may contain affiliate links.

The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Daylight
by Heidi St. John -This is a practical and encouraging book for us moms who often struggle with staying on top of both homeschooling and homemaking, and feel like we are constantly "burning daylight" but without much to show for it. As a busy homeschool mom herself, Heidi St. John speaks from experience. With seven children she has homeschooled all the way through high school, and as an author and conference speaker, she knows that juggling all the responsibilities of marriage, parenting, homeschooling, and homemaking can be exhausting; and offers advice and ideas - and encouragement!
Clearly Heidi understands that as a busy homeschool mom, I might not have a lot of time to read. There's only so much daylight, after all, and that's what I have trouble managing! (I pretty much know what to do at night - rest up for the next round of daylight!) As much as I love to read, I dearly appreciate a how-to book that is concise and to the point. Right at the beginning of the book, Heidi talks about getting priorities in order. We chose to homeschool because we love God and our family. Unless we cultivate those relationships in their correct priority, our academic accomplishments and beautifully organized houses will not matter much in the long run. Heidi reminds us that our marriage must be the first priority relationship in the home, the first one we nurture. She challenges us to ask God for wisdom and perspective as we work through our homeschool schedules, our housework, and our family calendars; and make our plans following his priorities. This is sound advice to start with, whether for a homeschool mom just starting out with little ones or for the veteran homeschool mom trying to keep up with teens in their high school years.
Let me tell you - I highlighted the daylights out of this book! (See what I did there?) There is a ton of wisdom and practical advice - all delivered with humor, gentleness, and grace - in this book that it's hard to believe how quickly I read it. And I know I will re-read over and over - thanks to the highlights and notes I've made to help me find the specific bits I need quickly.
(Read my complete and detailed review at Homeschool Coffee Break, where I reviewed this book for the Schoolhouse Review Crew.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.