This post may contain affiliate links.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
- Be careful not to include spoilers!
- Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
Helplessness crashed over her, just like that stormy day four months ago when she'd stood on the shore and had to watch her father drown without being able to do a thing to save him.
By the end of the week she'd be jobless and homeless. And there wasn't a single person left in the world who would care.
~Hearts Made Whole (Beacons of Hope)
by Jody Hedlund, page 29
By the end of the week she'd be jobless and homeless. And there wasn't a single person left in the world who would care.
~Hearts Made Whole (Beacons of Hope)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.
Windmill Point LighthouseMichigan, May 1865 A distant flash of lightning crisscrossed the darkening skies of the west, followed by the call of a nearby loon. "I don't think you should set out." Caroline Taylor clutched her shawl tighter against a cool gust that wrestled with it. "The storm's coming fast." Her father shoved the rowboat across the gravelly shore of Lake St. Clair. "We'll be fine," he said over his broad shoulder. "We'll beat the storm. Besides, I've crossed this lake in more storms than I can count." The old doctor already waited on a bench inside the cutter, clasping his top hat and fighting with the wind to keep it on his head. "I can't stay any longer, Caroline," the doctor said. "I've done all I can for your sister."

After her father's death, Caroline Taylor has grown confident running the Windmill Point Lighthouse. But in 1865 Michigan, women aren't supposed to have such roles, so it's only a matter of time before the lighthouse inspector appoints a new keeper -- even though Caroline has nowhere else to go and no other job available to her.
Ryan Chambers is a Civil War veteran still haunted by the horrors of battle. He's been given the post as lighthouse keeper, and the isolation where he can drown in drink and hide from his past is appealing. He's not expecting the current keeper to be a feisty and beautiful woman who's none-too-pleased to be giving up her position. They both quickly realize he's in no shape to run the lighthouse, but Ryan's unwilling to let anyone close, ravaged by memories and guilt. Caroline's drawn to this wounded soul, but with both of them relying on that single position, can they look past their loss to a future filled with hope...and possibly love?
What do you think? Would you continue reading?
©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
I love lighthouses and books that feature them. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE CRY”
ReplyDeleteThis sounds really interesting. The time period and a woman in a nontraditional role are particularly appealing to me. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI do like historical novels and this sounds like a good one with a female carrying out a 'man's job' Here is my Tuesday post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/first-chapter-first-paragraph-june-9/
ReplyDeleteI like lighthouse stories. I'd keep reading. :-)
ReplyDeleteThe lighthouse is a plus for me, too!
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued by lighthouses, so this story appeals to me. (By the way, I imagine you meant 1865 in the synopsis. Right?)
ReplyDeleteMy Tuesday post features The Chair.
It sounds interesting, but I don't read many books like this. Girl Who Reads
ReplyDeleteSounds like this one has potential. I'd read more.
ReplyDeleteI would keep reading. Love the setting.
ReplyDelete