This post may contain affiliate links.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
- Be careful not to include spoilers!
- Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
"I wanted her," David said.
"Every man wants her," I answered, barely able to bridle the resentment in my voice. "But they do not take her."
~Bathsheba: Reluctant Beauty
by Angela Hunt, Loc. 1802

"Every man wants her," I answered, barely able to bridle the resentment in my voice. "But they do not take her."
~Bathsheba: Reluctant Beauty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.

Spring, 996 BC The first time I saw King David, I was sixteen and he was behaving like a man possessed. The procession carrying the holy Ark of the Covenant was moving slowly down the street where we lived, and the pageantry of the parade mesmerized me. Scores of musicians preceded the Ark -- trumpeters, harpists, men who played the lyre, and singers with fine voices -- and dozens of somber priests walked alongside them, their faces a study in reverence and sobriety.
Then I caught the glimmer of sunlight on a cherubim's golden wing. I clutched my father's arm and wondered if I should hide my face from such a sacred sight, but before I could ask, a rising cloud of dust caught my attention. Behind the two priests who guarded the ark, between the Levites who were blowing shofars, I spotted an auburn-haired, bearded man who leapt and spun and whirled in reckless abandon. He wore the linen ephod and robe worn by the priests of Israel, but as the day was warm and the sun hot, he stopped spinning long enough to shrug off the outer robe and toss it to one of the guards. Then, clad only in the light linen shift, he continued to leap and twist, all the while grinning like a man who had been caught up in a holy rapture.
Bathsheba: Reluctant Beauty
by Angela Hunt
(Find out more at the publisher's website.)

Here's the blurb:
One of Ancient Israel's Most Famous Women--
As You've Never Looked at Her Before
One of the Bible's most misunderstood and misjudged women, Bathsheba comes to life in this new biblical re-imagining from Angela Hunt. Combining historical facts with detailed fiction, this is an eye-opening portrait that will have you reconsidering everything you thought you knew about her.
After receiving God's promise of a lifelong reign and an eternal dynasty, King David forces himself on Bathsheba, a loyal soldier's wife. When her resulting pregnancy forces the king to murder her husband and add her to his harem, Bathsheba struggles to protect her son while dealing with the effects of a dark prophecy and deadly curse on the king's household.
What do you think? Would you continue reading?One of Ancient Israel's Most Famous Women--
As You've Never Looked at Her Before
One of the Bible's most misunderstood and misjudged women, Bathsheba comes to life in this new biblical re-imagining from Angela Hunt. Combining historical facts with detailed fiction, this is an eye-opening portrait that will have you reconsidering everything you thought you knew about her.
After receiving God's promise of a lifelong reign and an eternal dynasty, King David forces himself on Bathsheba, a loyal soldier's wife. When her resulting pregnancy forces the king to murder her husband and add her to his harem, Bathsheba struggles to protect her son while dealing with the effects of a dark prophecy and deadly curse on the king's household.

This sounds like such an interesting read. I don't often read Biblical retellings, but if I do, it's likely to be about a woman. I will have to look for this one. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteNot my usual genre, but this sounds pretty good. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteNot my kind of read sadly, I hope you do enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteI like biblical retellings. I'll have to look for this one.
ReplyDeleteoh this sounds like a great tease! trish - my teaser
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like fascinating historical fiction. The vivid description in the opening grabbed me and made me want more. This isn't my usual read, but it sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
ReplyDeleteMy Tuesday post features A Weekend Getaway