This post contains affiliate links.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
- Be careful not to include spoilers!
- Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
Leaving Egypt was more appealing now that it reeked of decaying fish and frogs, but the thought of leaving Goshen was still bittersweet. Freedom was a concept she could only imagine. What would she do all day without injured slaves to tend?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.
Miriam: A Treasures of the Nile Novel
by Mesu Andrews


PROLOGUE
I am Miriam, old but of use. I am a slave, a midwife, a healer with herbs. This is what I do, but El-Shaddai makes me who I am.
The Hebrews call me prophetess; the Egyptians, a seer. But I am neither. I am simply a watcher of Israel and the messenger of El-Shaddai. When He speaks to me in dreams, I interpret. When He whispers a melody, I sing.
During my eighty-six inundations, His presence has swelled within me like the Nile's waters, quenching my thirst, meeting every need. No relationship imprisons me. No task consumes me. No despair conquers me. I'm His alone, free to love others as He loves me.
But as I dab my parents' brows, creeping dread crawls up my arms like a living thing. Last night's dreams have shaken our divine union. El-Shaddai, Your messages have always been so clear. Why not give the meaning with the dreams?
I know they portend death. But whose? Fear coils around my heart like a serpent. . .
The Hebrews call me prophetess; the Egyptians, a seer. But I am neither. I am simply a watcher of Israel and the messenger of El-Shaddai. When He speaks to me in dreams, I interpret. When He whispers a melody, I sing.
During my eighty-six inundations, His presence has swelled within me like the Nile's waters, quenching my thirst, meeting every need. No relationship imprisons me. No task consumes me. No despair conquers me. I'm His alone, free to love others as He loves me.
But as I dab my parents' brows, creeping dread crawls up my arms like a living thing. Last night's dreams have shaken our divine union. El-Shaddai, Your messages have always been so clear. Why not give the meaning with the dreams?
I know they portend death. But whose? Fear coils around my heart like a serpent. . .
Here's the blurb:
At eighty-six, Miriam has devoted her entire life to loving El Shaddai and serving His people as both midwife and messenger. Yet when her brother Moses returns to Egypt from exile, he brings a disruptive message. God has a new name -- Yahweh -- and has declared a radical deliverance for the Israelites.
Miriam and her beloved family face an impossible choice: cling to familiar bondage or embrace uncharted freedom at an unimaginable cost. Even if the Hebrews survive the plagues set to turn the Nile to blood and unleash a maelstrom of frogs and locusts, can they weather the resulting fury of Pharoah?
Enter an exotic land where thousands of pagan deities are worshiped, Pharoahs rule, and the Israelites cry out to a God they only think they understand.
What do you think? Would you continue reading?
I am featuring the book Miriam by Mesu Andrews again because this week I'm part of a blog hop and giveaway to celebrate the release of the book. Join me at "Treasures of the Nile - Scavenger Hunt Blog Hop and Giveaway" to find out all about the blog hop, and to enter my giveaway of both Treasures of the Nile novels.

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
I am featuring the book Miriam by Mesu Andrews again because this week I'm part of a blog hop and giveaway to celebrate the release of the book. Join me at "Treasures of the Nile - Scavenger Hunt Blog Hop and Giveaway" to find out all about the blog hop, and to enter my giveaway of both Treasures of the Nile novels.

I think I'd continue just to see where the story is going. :-)
ReplyDeleteSounds good. It has been years since I've read biblical fiction. My teaser comes from Tumbled Graves by Brenda Chapman. Happy reading!
ReplyDeleteNot sure this is for me, but I hope you like it!
ReplyDeleteThis is very different from what I normally read, but it drew me in. I'd like to read more to see if this is for me. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteInteresting cover and description, I thinkk I would continue.
ReplyDeleteThis isn't really what I'd normally read but I do hope you enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteSounds like fascinating historical fiction. This isn't a book I would have picked, but the synopsis captured my interest. Good Teaser, too.
ReplyDeleteMy Tuesday post features a contemporary romance: GRIFF MONTGOMERY, QUARTERBACK.
Not sure about this one for me, but hope u like it.
ReplyDelete