Friday, September 9

Recent Reads - The Winter Crown

This post contains affiliate links. 


The Winter Crown: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Elizabeth Chadwick - This novel is the second in a trilogy focusing on the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine. I started reading it not realizing that there was a novel preceding it, but it stood alone quite well, especially because I was already familiar with Eleanor's story.

The story opens with the coronation of Alienor (as she referred to herself in documents, and Chadwick used that spelling throughout) as Queen of England, alongside her husband, King Henry II. Early in their relationship, Alienor and Henry had a passionate relationship and although they argued, they did have a working partnership as rulers. Alienor knew her duty was to produce heirs to the throne, and her life became more wrapped up in her children. Her relationship with Henry deteriorated as he was unfaithful and didn't respect her political abilities as she wanted him to. This novel describes her growing discontent in the diminishing role Henry is pushing her into, and the power struggles between Henry and their sons. Eventually, young Harry rebels and two of his brothers go with him to the court of Louis of France. Alienor's advice to them and her own actions are treasonous to King Henry's suspicious mind, and this book ends with Alienor as his prisoner and hostage.  Alienor's story continues in The Autumn Throne, which I do think I will read soon, in order to remember how her life unfolded from that point on, at least from this historical novel's point of view.

Eleanor of Aquitaine was an unusual and powerful woman in her time, and most portrayals of her that I've read do not paint her in a flattering light, even while remaining sympathetic to her during the injustice of her imprisonment by her own husband. In Chadwick's novel, Eleanor is naturally the heroine because she is the central character, but her flaws and faults and attitudes are realistically shown as well. As I read, I was able to see events as Eleanor may have perceived them, which gave a new perspective to a familiar period of European history.

By the same author: A Place Beyond CourageLady of the English

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.