Wednesday, December 2

Recent Reads - The Darcys of Pemberley

This post may contain affiliate links. 

The Darcys of Pemberley (The Darcys of Pemberley, #1)

The Darcys of Pemberley by Shannon Winslow - I was privileged to win this book in a giveaway, and truly enjoyed it! Winslow delivers a clean and well-written sequel to Pride & Prejudice, with all the characters from Austen's original (and they remain in character too!) and even has a Mr. Sanditon make an appearance. The narrative style evokes Austen, while remaining a bit simpler and more suited to a modern audience. And I need to mention that I found very few editing errors so that was a big plus for me!

Happily married and settled at Pemberley, Darcy and Elizabeth now turn their attention to Georgianna's birthday and London season. A beautiful and accomplished young lady with an impressive fortune, Georgianna certainly has no lack of admirers and suitors, but she confides to Elizabeth that she has long hoped for the attention of Colonel Fitzwilliam. It appears her hopes are completely dashed when the colonel announces that he is betrothed to Lady Catherine deBourgh's daughter Anne. Darcy has no idea of Georgianna's affections, but he is concerned that the arrangement will not bring about the happiness of either of the principal parties.

Other happenings include the untimely passing of Mr Collins (with which the book opens!), an attempt at reconciliation with Lady Catherine, visits with members of the Bennet family, and the happy occasion of Bingley and Jane becoming neighbors to the Darcys. The Bingleys and the Darcys also become parents in this sequel. There are some surprises along the way as well, but true to the Austen style, more of the story focuses on the relationships and the small everyday dramas and humors than on large events. It is well into the second half of the book before the first real surprise event occurs (which I will not spoil!), and even later before there is real danger and suspense, as Wickham makes his unwelcome return and is still determined to wreak havoc for Darcy in whatever way he can.

As I said, a truly enjoyable read, and I do plan to read the next in Winslow's series. I was a little disappointed that Mr. Bennet is not around very much during the story, and that Kitty and Charlotte are around a great deal yet neither of them have anything to say!

©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.