Tuesday, December 8

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter First Paragraph - Star of Wonder

This post may contain affiliate links. 


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
My Teaser and First Paragraph are both from a book I've had for awhile, but decided to wait on reading it until closer to Christmas, since it's about the wise men's journey to Bethlehem. I'm starting on it now, and incidentally, the eBook is free for Kindle right now.


It was Daniel's scrolls, kept sealed until the right time, that my father wished me to carry back to Jerusalem from whence he had stolen them. He believed, as did Gaspar beside me, that the time had come.
And it was the star that told them so.
The self-same star that whispered nothing but torture and destruction in my ears.
 ~Star of Wonder: A Novella (The Incense Road Book 1) by Tracy L Higley, at 26% on my Kindle

Star of Wonder (The Incense Road #1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.

                                                                    
   From that first night nine months ago, a sickness had been growing in me, like some hideous creature wanting to be birthed. I knew its cause. That damnable, beautiful star.
   Tonight on the palace roof I tried to look away, to stop my ears to the endless musings and sharp-tongued arguments of my fellow scholars. They bickered over the portent of that silver-white specter wandering the charred field of Sin, god of the night. But it was the night before my final examinations and I could not afford distraction.
   Only a few hours remained until dawn, and I must retrieve the one thing that would assure my place among them, that would give me an edge over Navid and all his advantages.
   One chance. I had one chance to redeem last month's disaster.

Here's the blurb:

An epic quest across the sands of Arabia.

In the exotic land of the east, a group of scholars studies the night sky for generations, until finally a star bursts onto the scene, signaling the birth of a new world leader.

But when an ancient document surfaces, whispering of an artifact of immense power, the temptation to seek out its power infiltrates their caravan.

The soldier, the mage, and the Egyptian princess each has a secret to protect. But if they are going to survive the dark forces battling for their prize, they must learn to trust each other-- in what will surely be the journey of a lifetime.

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good read for this time of year. I like the intro you shared; it has me wondering what is to come.

    Now I've got the We Three Kings of Orient song in my head. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That song gets stuck in my head too. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. This sounds very interesting. Definitely an appropriate read for the season! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    Denise @ Life With No Plot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have normally picked up this one, but now I'm intrigued. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “HERE, HOME, HOPE”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect story to read at this time of year. Hope you're enjoying it.
    My Tuesday post features Beach Trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is gorgeous, but I'm not a fan of the writing style in the intro :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think this one is for me, but hope u enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The into and blurb has me interested. I would not have picked it up otherwise

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.