Thursday, December 24

Recent Reads - Holiday Buzz

This post may contain affiliate links. 



Holiday Buzz (A Coffeehouse Mystery) by Cleo Coyle - Here's another great book I found totally by accident! I was able to spend a little time by myself in the library a couple weeks ago and took the time to stroll down the large-type aisle (which is usually where I found Georgette Heyer novels), and noticed this title. It wasn't even displayed prominently despite its seasonal appeal, but I read the description of the back and decided to give it a try. Apparently, there is an entire series of these Coffeehouse Mystery novels, which I would describe as sort of a cozy mystery. The word "coffeehouse" kind of got my attention as well!

This particular coffeehouse mystery is set in New York City around Christmastime - a modern day setting. Clare Cosi operates a trendy coffee shop in the Village that is taking part in a series of Cookie Swap holiday parties for charity. At the first Cookie Swap, one of her employees that also works at a friend's bakery is brutally murdered; and Clare discovers the body. Clare is dissatisfied with the direction that the police investigation is going and pursues any leads she can come up with in order to bring Moirin's killer to justice. She gets assistance from her quirky cast of coffeehouse employees and the bakery owner friend; as well as the assisting detective on the case, her ex-husband and his mother, and her current significant other who happens to be a former cop himself. Clare puts herself into some dangerous situations as she doggedly follows up on any information she gathers, but there is plenty of comic relief along the way as well.

Although contemporary settings aren't generally my favorite, I enjoyed the coffeehouse setting and the quirky characters and wry sense of humor throughout this layered mystery. There are even several delicious-looking recipes in the back of the book, and I think I might try a couple of them! And I'll be pursuing this lead to see if I can find more of these Coffeehouse Mysteries to solve along with Clare.

©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.