Tuesday, September 6

Teaser Tuesday/First Chapter First Paragraph - She Walks in Power

This post contains affiliate links.
Teaser Tuesday | BooksAndABeat.com

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers! 
I just bought this latest novel from an author that I enjoy for her pirate themed novels which blur the line between historical setting and fantasy. In this one, the setting is medieval England and reminiscent of Robin Hood legends. From my quick glance through it to find a teaser, it appears to be more fantasy than history as well. I won't be reading it right away, as I have plenty of other things to keep me occupied right now!


"If you think one little knife will stop me, you are wrong, Falcon."
"Knife?" She tossed it, and it stuck point first in the trunk above his head. "But that tea . . . well, that is another matter."
~She Walks in Power (Protectors of the Spear Book 1) by MaryLu Tyndall, at 22% on my Kindle



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading.


England, the Middle Ages

   Alexia D'Clere slid an arrow from her quiver, nocked it in her bow, and drew back the bowstring. Wind whipped through the branches of the large maple tree above her, stirring a whirlwind of leaves and needles across the forest floor. But Alexia's gaze followed three men atop horses, accompanying a coach down an access road through Emerald forest -- the three men who had ventured off the main trail and dared to penetrate the Circle of the Spear. To what purpose? She would have dismissed them as pitchkettled dolts if not for their attire and the magnificent destriers they rode. Now, as they came closer, she narrowed her eyes like a falcon on its prey.




Here's the blurb:

Alexia D'Clere didn't ask to be Protector of the Spear, but after her dying mother gave her the tiny metal object and made her promise to keep it safe, she had no choice. Orphaned at age eight, she began to take over the running of her parents' castle with the help of a trusted steward. Yet, when a plot to murder her was revealed, a friar whisked her away to live hidden in the forest. There, she learned to shoot expertly with bow and arrow and hone her skills to see into the spirit realm.


Now, at eighteen, Alexia continues to keep the Spear protected, provide meat for the starving village, while secretly caring for her ill sister who still lives in the castle. With Alexia's powers of spiritual discernment and her skill as an archer, she is no match for those who come for the spear. That is until she meets Ronar LePeine, one of the King's elite guard.



Ronar desires nothing more than to do his duty to God and King and pay penance for past sins. Yet a forest sprite with red, flaming hair blocks his every move, all the while enchanting him like no other. Something evil lurks at Castle Luxley, and both Ronar and Alexia are soon thrust into the middle of a spiritual battle which will not only test their very beliefs, but put them both in mortal danger.

What do you think? Would you continue reading?
I have to say that the writer of the blurb could have worded their summary much better!

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy this one but, I can tell it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably not my kind of book, but I love that cover! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE SISTER”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great opening! I like the term "pitchkettled dolts!" Although this is a genre I rarely read, this story looks like a good one.
    My Tuesday post features THE UNLIKELY PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the 'Robin Hood' tones. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not for me but seems interesting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.