This post may contain affiliate links.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
- Be careful not to include spoilers!
- Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
The dialogue in Anne of Green Gables is so entertaining, from Anne with her big words and 'scope for imagination' to Matthew's few words and Marilla's skeptical pronouncements, the characters all have a way with words. This is near the beginning of the book, when Matthew and Marilla are deciding whether or not they will keep Anne - who is clearly a girl, when they had asked for a boy.
"I wouldn't give a dog I liked to that Blewett woman," said Matthew with unusual vim.
"I don't fancy her style myself," admitted Marilla, "but it's that or keeping her ourselves, Matthew."
~Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables Collection (for Kindle)
), Loc 700 on my Kindle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.
CHAPTER ONE
London, March 3, 1818
CHAPTER ONE
London, March 3, 1818
Only one thing frustrated Charlotte Downing more than waiting on a man: being told "no" by one. With the shoe clerk from Ella's Establishment refusing her purchase without the owner's permission, she'd suffered both. Tapping her foot, she stifled the urge to shift upon her chair. The shopkeeper could return any moment, and she shouldn't appear too anxious. That would expose weakness, maybe doubling the price. If her late father taught her anything, it was never cede anything early in a negotiation.
Her gaze lifted to the pair of fairy slippers displayed on an upper shelf of the Ella Store. Protected by a clear glass case, the footwear remained isolated, distant. A little like herself, especially during her lengthy time of mourning.
Swept Away: A Fairwilde Reflection Regency Fairy Tale

Here's the blurb:
Charlotte Downing, the Duchess of Charming, wants what she wants. Today, it's a fine pair of lacy slippers crafted by the renowned Ella's Establishment. To be picture perfect for her presentation to the queen, Charlotte will survive crashed ceilings and falling bricks. Yet, has she met her match in the conservative merchant, whose autumn-colored eyes make her pulse race, especially when he says no?
Caught between the glittering world of the ton and the respectable profession of selling shoes, Edwin Cinder can't understand the lady's persistence or the fire lighting her blue eyes when she's challenged. With his lack of pedigree, there's no chance for this common God-fearing man to win her hand, but he'll risk all to save the duchess from the ravages of a London gale.
Swept Away is a Regency retelling of Cinderella with a twist.
©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

It's been so long since I read Anna but I do remember this scene. I should read it again. I'd probably take in a lot more now:)
ReplyDeleteHere's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/28/teaser-tuesdays-123-onyx-webb/
I've never read Anne of Green Gables but my daughter is enjoying it- she's been re- reading it lately (nice to see!). I like that quote. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is one of those books that, if I read it, it was so long ago....Is it time for a reread? Hmmmm....
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental My TT
Swept Away sounds good. I've never read Anne of Green Gables. Somehow I missed it as a young reader.
ReplyDeleteMy YA teaser this week comes from School for Sidekicks by Kelley McCullough. Happy reading!
Oh, that's interesting - Edward Cinder and the Duchess of Charming. Twist. Love the Anne quote.
ReplyDeleteI didn't read all of the Anne of Green Gables books, but loved the ones I read. I do have that same collection on my Kindle.
ReplyDeleteHope to read it soon!
Here's mine: “DUNE ROAD”
I'm not sure Swept Away is for me, but I'd keep reading Anne of Green Gables!
ReplyDeleteI read this book and a couple more Anne stories about a year ago and enjoyed them, even though the writing style bugged me. All those LY adverbs! Swept Away sounds like an entertaining story I'd enjoy.
ReplyDeleteThank you for leaving a comment on my blog today.
Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG
I haven't read Anne of Green Gables, but it's a series I hope my daughter will be interested in when she's older so we can read it together. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love the cover of Swept Away, and definitely would keep reading.
I love Anne of Green Gables. Girl Who Reads
ReplyDeleteDefinitely keep reading! Love Anne and the fairy tale sounds great!
ReplyDeletePosted mine for #ParisinJuly TT theme
I wish I had read Anne of GG -- maybe when my grand daughter is old enough to read it. Swept Away -- no really my kid of story, but hope you like it Kym.
ReplyDelete