Wednesday, November 1

Bookshelf Review - October 2017

This post contains affiliate links.

October's Books Completed and Reviewed

The Elusive Miss Ellison by Carolyn Miller -  Lord Hawkesbury feels the pressure to marry the woman his mother prefers for him, but he can't help being drawn to Lavinia Ellison. Several twists and turns keep this lovely story from being too much like Pride and Prejudice. (Read my full review HERE.)
"No. But then, I have yet to meet a man that has caught my eye." With an expression that could only be described as a smirk, she dipped her head and walked purposefully up the drive.

This Side of Murder (A Verity Kent Mystery) - young widow Verity Kent reluctantly attends a house party with her late husband's friends and realizes there may be much more to her husband's death than just a casualty of war. She winds up needing to solve a mystery and find out who is a traitor and who she can trust. (Read my full review HERE.)
The truth was, I didn't know who I could trust. And if I chose the wrong person to confide in, it could end in dire consequences--for me, for Sidney's memory, and possibly for another guest if Jimmy's death was not as straightforward as it had been made to appear.



Alex and Eliza: A Love Story by Melissa De La Cruz - It took me awhile to get invested in this book, but once I did, I quite enjoyed this imagined love story between Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler. (Read my full review HERE.)
Peggy wrote him back with a much simpler plan. "My dear Colonel Hamilton, if you want to win over my sister, why not simply tell her so yourself?"




The Captivating Lady Charlotte by Carolyn Miller - A follow-up to The Elusive Miss Ellison, this follows Charlotte, who wants to marry for love, but her family betrothes her to a recently widowed duke. (Read my full review HERE.)
Her heart wrenched, as a desperate yearning took hold. If only she could marry someone whom she loved! If only she felt a tenth for the duke what Lavinia seemed to feel for her husband.





During October I continued reading:


Isaiah's Daughter: A Novel of Prophets and Kings by Mesu Andrews - I received the ARC for this one and was devouring it until I realized that I should probably time my review for close to its release date. It's coming up!
Mistress patted my hand. "Ish--I mean, Hephzibah, only you would want to discuss every legal detail before letting us call you Daughter."




During October I started reading:

31 Proverbs to Light Your Path by Liz Curtis Higgs - This simple and practical devotional study book is for an upcoming review.
By moving straight from words to actions, we can immediately apply what we've learned and discover how God uses even the smallest steps to lead us in the right direction.

 


A Dangerous Legacy by Elizabeth Camden - Lucy and her brother have been locked in a legal battle with their estranged uncle their entire lives. When Lucy makes an unlikely deal with Sir Colin Beckwith, it might finally provide a means to win the case -- or it could put them all in danger.
Lucy was grateful to the marrow of her bones that Colin was willing to help her, even if every square inch of his starchy pride indicated he hadn't forgiven her for the insult at the train station.

 


The Sound of Rain by Sarah Loudin Thomas - Just got started on this from a favorite author. It begins with Judd, a miner, injured in a cave-in and coping with his brother's death.
Judd felt like the weight of the mountain was centered on his chest once again. He fought for air as sure as he had in the dark of the mine. Not Joe.





Coming Up in November!
©2008-2017 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Hey... that 31 proverbs book looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Great list of books. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a LOVELY list :) The Sound of Rain looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great list, Kym. I currently don't have a novel going, so I'm glad to see a selection here that you recommend.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.