Monday, July 12

What I'm Reading - July 12, 2021

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. 

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

This weekly reading list meme is hosted at Book Date. Join in to see what others are reading and maybe get some ideas of what to read next! Although the Book Date link-up happens weekly, I don't manage to post that often. I aim to post and link about once a month, although I sometimes link up my monthly summary as well. 


I finished reading . . . 

 Mortal Arts by Anna Lee Huber - Although I'm a little behind the pace, I am so enjoying the re-reading of this series along with many other fans and the author as we 'count down' to the release of the next Lady Darby novel. (Find the Lady Darby Read-Along group on Facebook if you're interested.) This is the second in the series. Kiera is able to reconnect with a family friend who had been her drawing master. He had been wrongfully held in an insane asylum for many years, and now is being accused of murder. Kiera teams up with Gage to find out the truth. (Read my full review HERE)


The Scarlet Pen by Jennifer Uhlarik - A young woman's hasty engagement becomes tenuous when a Secret Service agent investigating counterfeit money discovers a connection to a string of violent murders, and both are connected to her fiance. Based on the true story of a serial killer! (Read my full review HERE)


Between the Wild Branches by Connilyn Cossette - Lukio ran away from his adoptive Hebrew family to return to Philistia, where he has become an elite fighter. His climb to fame and success falters when he realizes his childhood sweetheart, a Hebrew girl, is a slave to the princess he's about to marry. (Read my full review HERE)


The Inviting Life by Laura Calder - I finally received this book from the library that was supposed to be part of my May theme reading! I've just started it - it's about hospitality and includes practical tips for things like spring cleaning. (Read my full review HERE)


The Beachcomber's Companion by Anna Marlis Burgard - finished as part of the June Online Book Club but haven't reviewed here yet. Will do that this week! In the meantime, see: Online Book Club - Wrapping Up June: Beach for a summary.




I'm currently reading . . .


A Grave Matter by Anna Lee Huber - As mentioned, working on a re-read of this series! In this third book, Kiera and Gage investigate a grave robbery.



The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict - finally got back to this novelized biography of Hedy Lamarr.


The 5-Minute Visual Guide to the Bible by Michael Wittmer - Watch for my review of this colorful overview guide in a day or two!



Hike Maryland: A Guide to the Scenic Trails of the Free State by Bryan MacKay and Easy Weekend Getaways from Washington, DC: Short Breaks in Delaware, Virginia, and Maryland by Jess Moss - I'm not really reading these so much as browsing through them a bit more, after having already browsed through them for my June online book club post. (See it here: Online Book Club - Wrapping Up June: Beach) I'll try to remember to post reviews here as well, but no promises!

   


Next on the stack... 

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - provided I can find my copy!
A Study in Death by Anna Lee Huber
An Unexpected Peril by Deanna Raybourn

     

     


     
What I'm Highlighting . . . Along with a few blogging friends, I'm participating in an Online Book Club that is a little different. Instead of all reading the same title, we'll be reading books that have a theme in common. That way readers of all ages, homeschoolers or not, can participate. Our theme for July is Dream Destinations. Stop by HS Coffee Break to find out more.


Online Book Club - July Theme: Dream Destinations

©2008-2021 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


 

2 comments:

  1. I recently finished The Scarlet Pen as well!! It was so interesting. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely intrigued by The Scarlet Pen! True story of a serial killer?? Yes please! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.