This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
It appears that I read more during September, but I should qualify that a little. One title is a novella, one is a children's book, and one is a graphic novel! Since we've started school, my time is a bit more at a premium with grading and all. And of course, I want to read the assigned novel along with my Fiction Writing students! I suppose I need to manage my expectations of how much reading I can do and still be able to enjoy it!
September's Books Completed and Reviewed
Snow White: A Graphic Novel by Matt Phelan - a retelling of the fairy tale in a 1920s setting, with beautiful artwork. (Read my full review HERE)
A Pressing Engagement by Anna Lee Huber - Kiera and Gage follow clues about an unusual piece of jewelry she receives as a wedding gift. (Read my full review HERE)
Undercurrent of Secrets by Rachel Scott McDaniel - Devyn and Chase look for information about a young woman in an old photo, while in the 1920s timeline, Hattie's life on the steamboat is interrupted when a new first mate joins the crew. (Read my full review HERE)
The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene DuBois - This Newbery Award winner is a whimsical tale of a professor who crash landed his balloon on the island of Krakatoa and was surprised to find it was inhabited. (Read my full review HERE)
As Death Draws Near by Anna Lee Huber - Kiera and Gage are called away from their idyllic honeymoon to investigate a murder at an Irish abbey. (Having caught up with the rest of the group, I hope to stay up to date with the Lady Darby Read-Along group on Facebook as we continue reading together through the series)
Speechless: Controlling Words, Controlling Minds by Michael Knowles - It took me awhile to get started on this, but it's very thought-provoking so far. I suspect I'll move pretty slowly though.
At the Edge of the Orchard: A Novel by Tracy Chevalier - This novel was picked for its inclusion of Johnny Appleseed, and because it has apples on the cover. All for the September book club theme. I'm only a few chapters in, so don't expect a review for awhile, but it's good so far!
During September I continued reading:
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - I had set this aside for a little while, but picked it up again this month and am determined to finish, even if it takes me a couple more months of reading a little here and there.
The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick
A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty
Come Back to Me by Jody Hedlund
An Unexpected Peril by Deanna Raybourn
On my blogs recently . . .
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
And on HS Coffee Break:
I Spy posts (#35-#38)
This post will be linked at the September 2021 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-up Link-up and Giveaway hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction; and at the weekly reading list meme hosted at Book Date.
©2008-2021 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.



I LOVED Come Back to Me and I am not a fantasy reader. I hope you enjoy it as well. Here is my link if you'd like to stop by: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-4.html
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a good month! It is hard to manage our expectations sometimes. We just want to be able to do it all! The Lady Darby books sound intriguing.
ReplyDeleteHave a great October!
Great reading month. I have been reading another series by Anna Lee Huber and really enjoying it - set at end of WW1. I may have to take up this series you are reading as well at some point.
ReplyDeleteI've read nearly everything by Tracy Chevalier, but not At the Edge of the ORchard. I'll have to check it out sometime.
ReplyDelete