Tuesday, May 23

Top Ten Tuesday - The One With My Attention-Getters

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. 

On occasion I'll be joining in the Top Ten Tuesday posts hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl 


This week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic is: Things That Make Me Instantly Want to Read a Book. I'm not sure I can come up with ten, but I have a couple in mind immediately, so let's see how far it takes me! I have some favorite authors and series, and a few other things that get my attention every time.

1. Anything by Anna Lee Huber - I just automatically buy every book she writes, and usually pre-order them because they are just so good! I'm especially invested in the Lady Darby series. 

A favorite ALH cover


2. Anything by Deanna Raybourn - Same idea, although it's not an auto-purchase, but if her name is on the cover, I pretty much know I'm going to love it. (I'm actually behind right now in reading series by both authors - it's what happens when I keep getting sidetracked by the books I need to review.)

Currently on my TBR pile

3. Anything by Connilyn Cossette - Here's another author that has never disappointed me, and if I'm not fortunate enough to get on a review team for her books, I go ahead and buy them.

Her debut novel that hooked me

4. Next in the series: A Door To The Past - There are several series that I really enjoy and can't help myself wanting to get my hands on each new addition that comes out. A Door to the Past is one of those series. It's a multi-author series of dual timeline stories based on American historical sites. 

My favorite in the series

5. Any historical novel about a Bible character or theme - I'm fascinated by the different takes on what a character like Bathsheba or Samson or Deborah was really like. As long as the novel is well-researched and doesn't try to change what the Bible records, I'll probably be interested.


6. A favorite formula - a female sleuth set in a historical period pre-1900. Notice that the first two favorite authors I listed are known for their lady detectives in a Victorian England setting. If there's a bit of romance included, even better. There are a lot of authors writing this type of story, so I obviously can't read all of them, but I want to!


7. Set in a place I'm familiar with - I often find myself gravitating towards a book as soon as I see that it's set in one of the places I've lived or have visited and remember well. Set in Canada will definitely grab my attention.

Set in Yellowstone

8. It helps me out with a reading challenge - Yeah, sometimes I'll take a chance on a book because I need one set in a certain country, or with a certain feature in the title or on the cover.



9. I keep seeing it mentioned or reviewed by book bloggers I trust - Perfect example is my recent read of Remarkably Bright Creatures. I kept seeing it on blogs, it sounded unusual, it had a great cover, and it would fit a couple categories of a reading challenge. It is a wonderful book!


10. Seasonal themes - Especially Christmas. Come December I'm a sucker for the holiday themed stories from favorite authors or in favorite settings. In March, I usually read something set in Ireland. Valentine's Day themes and covers catch my eye in February. You get the idea.

Star of the East: A Lady Emily Christmas Story


What kinds of books are guaranteed to get your attention? Leave a comment and let me know!

This article will be linked at Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl .

©2008-2023 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.



3 comments:

  1. I find that when I read books set in places I know, I pay much closer attention to the descriptions of the setting and the culture there in hopes that the author got it all right.

    It’s always wonderful when they do!

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Huber, although I'm very behind on reading her books. The Veronica Speedwell series is one of my favorites as well. The books are SO entertaining!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Set in a place I'm familiar with would be a big one for me as well. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/things-getting-in-the-way-of-reading/

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.