Tuesday, November 17

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter First Paragraph - The Darcys of Pemberley

This post may contain affiliate links.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
I was so very sure I hadn't read this one before . . . until I started reading. Somehow it seems familiar, and yet I am still quite convinced that I haven't read it. However, P&P sequels do tend to follow similar storylines, so perhaps that accounts for the sense of deja vu.


Fitzwilliam returned to his feet and resumed his pacing. "If only it were a mistake," he answered. "Her ladyship was perfectly clear about her expectation that I shall marry her daughter. Since she could not get you for her son-in-law, Darcy, I suppose she has settled on me as the best substitute available."
 ~The Darcys of Pemberley by Shannon Winslow, at 14% on my Kindle

The Darcys of Pemberley (The Darcys of Pemberley, #1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.

     It is a truth universally acknowledged that even the most ignoble person on the face of the earth appears more praiseworthy after death. Thus, as the news of Mr. Collins's odd and untimely passing spread far and wide, the reputed quality of his character improved accordingly. The significant defects of his disposition, so recently impossible to overlook, were all but forgot, and the general consensus developed that he had been a fine clergyman, and a kind and generous human being.
     As his relations, the Bennets of Longbourn were amongst the first to hear of the sad event. Although they had not been especially close to their cousin, his death could not help but make some impression on them. Mr. Bennet felt the loss most acutely. Having come to regard Mr. Collins's correspondence as a priceless source of amusement, he would not have given up the association on any grounds less consequential than those supplied by the present impediment. Mrs. Bennet, though not ordinarily quick-witted, on this occasion immediately perceived how insupportable it would be to keep the burden of this tragedy to herself. Hence, she made haste to publish the tale abroad, beginning in Meryton with her sister, Mrs. Phillips, who was always anxious for the latest news.
 The Darcys of Pemberley by Shannon Winslow

The Darcys of Pemberley (The Darcys of Pemberley, #1)

Here's the blurb:

A sequel true to Jane Austen’s beloved masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice.

Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy have been married for almost a year, and their heated arguments are a thing of the past. All that passion is now directed into more satisfying pursuits. But how long can the honeymoon last? The couple’s idyllic life together at Pemberley is jeopardized by secrets they begin keeping from each other, the troubles of their closest friends, and the threat of a villain in their midst.

Layers of seemingly innocent deception are building between Darcy and Elizabeth, threatening their relationship. He is conducting some covert business dealings that he’s unwilling to share with his wife, and she likewise begins keeping things from him against her own better judgment. The couple also becomes embroiled in the tribulations of Mr. Darcy’s younger sister, Georgiana, and his friend and cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam.

Fitzwilliam falls victim to their aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, as the object of her latest scheme to make a noble match for her daughter. Georgiana runs the gamut of emotions as she comes of age and learns the pain of unrequited love. Meanwhile, the menacing shadow of Mr. Darcy’s life-long nemesis, Mr. Wickham, looms ever larger.

The Darcys of Pemberley is the tale of two romances: the continuation of Darcy and Elizabeth’s story, and the courtship of Miss Georgiana. For those who didn’t want Pride and Prejudice to end, this novel gives the opportunity to learn what happens after the wedding, to revisit old friends and foes, and to share the next chapter of their lives.

What do you think? Would you continue reading? If you have read this one, how did you like it?

 ©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

  1. One for my must read list, for sure!

    My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/11/17/teaser-tuesdays-136-h20/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always so hesitant about Austen-adaptations, especially if it's 'Pride & Prejudice'! Although this does sound fun and it does look like Winslow captured something of Austen's style, I'm still not quite convinced I can let go of my fierce protection of Austen xD Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Tuesday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. As many times as P&P gets revisited, I'm not surprised that it's hard to find an original way to tackle it. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very hesitant to read spin-offs of beloved classics, especially Austen's books. I don't know if I would want to read this one, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed one of the various retellings, and it was fascinating...this one does look tempting. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine:
    “TRUTH BE TOLD”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun--hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read much Austen but I wonder if I would like the retellings. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wary of Austen spin-offs but this one does sound like a good one - have you figured out if you've read it before yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting. I haven't read P & P yet although I've seen the movie with Olivier. I'm not usually a fan of spinoffs but this sounds like a worthwhile read. Here's my teaser from an Avi young reader historical fiction novel: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-11y

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been able to get into any of the P&P sequels -- they do all seem very much alike. I always think it's better just to re-read the original. Love the cover on this one, though.
    My teaser's here: Murakami

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read any of these Austen remakes and probably wouldn't. I hope you enjoy this one Kym.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read Pride & Prejudice. I don't think this one would be for me. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has been awhile since I've read a P&P related novel. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.