Tuesday, December 1

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter First Paragraph - December 1, 2015

This post may contain affiliate links. 


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
When the dining room summit concluded, Lady Catherine was in no humor for idle conversation or to otherwise linger in the company of persons who had witnessed her mortification at the hands of her own daughter. Giving the plausible excuse of a headache, she went directly to bed.
 ~The Darcys of Pemberley by Shannon Winslow, at 54% on my Kindle

(I don't feel sorry for Lady C, do you? But I bet you'd like to know what the summit was about and what Lady C's daughter did to mortify her so!)

The Darcys of Pemberley (The Darcys of Pemberley, #1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.

   Charles Latterly stared across the untroubled sea at the shore they were fast approaching. The mountain rose sharply, as symmetrical and uncomplicated as a child's drawing. The sky above was mid-winter blue. At home in England they would be expecting snow at this time in December, but here, so close to Sicily, the wind off the salt water was mild. The small boat barely rocked.
   He had been looking forward to this break from the reality of London, work and the routine of his life, which lately had seemed more meaningless than ever. The recent death of his wife had given him an acute feeling of loss, but not in the way he had expected. There was no deep ache of bereavement. It forced him to realize that perhaps he had felt alone for a long time.
   Would three weeks on Stromboli, a volcanic island in the Tyrrhenian, accomplish anything, change anything inside him? Would it heal the sense of helplessness, the bitterness of endless small failures? Maybe. It would certainly give him a long time to think, uninterrupted by the petty details of life.

Here's the blurb:

Lonely Charles Latterly arrives at his small hotel hoping that the island's blue skies and gentle breezes will brighten his spirits. Unfortunately, there's no holiday cheer to be found among his fellow guests, who include a pompous novelist, a stuffy colonel, a dangerously ill-matched married couple, and an ailing old man. The one charming exception is orphaned teenager Candace Finbar, who takes Charles under her wing and introduces him to the island's beauty. But the tranquility of the holiday is swiftly disrupted by a violent quarrel, an unpleasant gentleman's shocking claims of being stalked, and the ominous stirrings of the local volcano. Then events take an even darker turn: A body is found, and Charles quickly realizes that the killer must be among the group of guests.

Captivating in its depiction of untamed nature in all its awesome power, and of the human heart in the throes of transformation, "A Christmas Escape" gifts readers with Anne Perry's talent for making the season brighter and more thrilling.
What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

  1. I really enjoy Anne Perry's books, although it's been years since I last read something by her. I haven't read too many of her Christmas books--although I have always wanted to. This one sounds good! I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think either one of these is for me, but hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Christmas Escape sounds lovely...who doesn't need a break from the routines...and possibly the tensions of everyday life?

    Here's mine: “THE GUEST ROOM”



    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read other books by Anne Perry in the past and have enjoyed her writing. This sounds like another good one!
    I've been seeing The Darcys of Pemberley everywhere. Hope you're enjoying the story.
    My Tuesday post features the Rawhide ‘n Roses anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like Anne Perry. I hope I can squeeze this in over the Christmas season. Here's my TT: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-12O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like Anne Perry. I hope I can squeeze this in over the Christmas season. Here's my TT: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-12O

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Christmas Escape sounds like a nice diversion... have never read Perry before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been curious about the P&P book. The Christmas book sounds like fun seasonal reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drawn more to A Christmas Escape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, Jane Austen Fanfiction!! Gotta give it a shot :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like her Christmas mysteries. It's been so long I would have to look through titles to see which I've read and which I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.