This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
We are in the final week of October and I'm left wondering how it went by so quickly. I think that's the way with most months in 2020! It was a full and busy month, and although I felt like I was doing a lot of reading, there were only two book completed and reviewed. I do have a couple that I should be finished soon though.
October's Books Completed and Reviewed
During October I started reading:
The Red Ribbon by Pepper Basham - Ava and Jeremiah are caught in the web of whiskey running and longtime feuds between outlaws and politicians in this story based on the circumstances of the Hillsville Courthouse Massacre of 1912. (Read my full review HERE)
Ava looked over at Jeremiah, a sudden iciness creeping over her skin. He placed an arm in front of her and stepped through the door into a dimly lit room only to run headlong into the business end of a double-barreled shotgun.
The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter: A Victorian Romance by Mimi Matthews - The Viscount St Clair is surprised to find himself genuinely captivated by a young lady's companion, and decides to reform himself and marry her. (Read my full review HERE)
"I also very much doubt that I'm the first female you've kissed in a conservatory.""No. You're not the first," he admitted gravely. "But if you'll marry me, I promise that you'll be the last."
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - I'll be finishing up this classic Gothic novel this week. It's one we're studying in my Lit class at co-op.
So much has been done, exclaimed the soul of Frankenstein - more, far more, will I achieve; treading in the steps already marked, I will pioneer a new way, explore unknown powers, and unfold to the world the deepest mysteries of creation.
The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick - During spare moments I'm trying to do a quick re-read of this novel that is part of the required reading for another co-op class I teach!
I'm sitting on the gutter curb, thinking the world is stupid if this is what happens to the best person ever born. What's the point if you have to live behind cutwire and steel doors and be afraid of gangs and then get sick and die because normals are too numb to remember the cure?
The Calm I Seek by Christina Lourens - Rebecca is content to live a quiet life after her husband's death, but between planning her younger sister's wedding and agreeing to take a dance class, she might be falling in love.
I was quite content with the way things were. My life was predictable and I hadn't been hurt in the last three years. That counted for a lot in my book.
During October I continued reading:
A Stroke of Malice by Anna Lee Huber - At a Twelfth Night house party, a body is discovered, and Kiera and Sebastian are asked to investigate, and it's no surprise that they find themselves in danger as they uncover secrets.
I frowned at this discovery - or lack thereof. Not that I'd wished for the valet to be found dead. But his continued absence only seemed to point the finger further in his direction. It answered many of the questions, including one that had just come to mind.
Coming Up in November!
The Gold Digger by Liz Tolsma
To Dwell Among Cedars by Connilyn Cossette
A Pretty Deceit by Anna Lee Huber
When Silence Sings by Sarah Loudin Thomas
And on my homeschool blog, Homeschool Coffee Break:
This post will be linked at the October 2020 Wrap-Up Roundup and Giveaway hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction; (and at the weekly reading list meme hosted at Book Date.)
©2008-2020 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.




Nice assortment of books. I have A Pretty Deceit on my TBR stack and hope to get to it before the end of the year. Come see my week here. Happy reading!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a good month! I loved When Silence Sings and Frankenstein is a favorite as well.
ReplyDeleteI was the opposite, I felt like October dragged on forever haha!
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how some months you feel like you're reading a lot, but you haven't gotten much actually finished---tales of a reader who can't read one thing at a time. :-)
ReplyDeleteNicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction
I know what you mean about October flying by. It's funny how our perception of time can change.
ReplyDeleteI downloaded the Audiobook of Frankenstein at the beginning of October but haven't started it yet. Haven't ever read it.