This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter: A Victorian Romance by Mimi Matthews - Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St Ashton, is well-known as a rake and womanizer, but he's also one of the England's most eligible bachelors. He attends a house party with hosts notorious for the heavy drinking and debauchery but he himself has grown weary of the lifestyle. But upon arrival, he encounters a young woman in distress, and is uncharacteristically chivalrous and kind, surprising even himself.
Valentine March is a vicar's daughter, with no family connections, engaged as a companion to one of the ladies attending the house party. Her employer is unkind and her employer's daughter is downright hateful. Tristan happens upon her when she is weeping over this cruel treatment, and an uneasy friendship begins. But Tristan is shocked to realize he may be experiencing love at first sight, and disturbed by his father's reaction upon meeting Valentine.
Tristan follows Valentine into the conservatory, and their brief moment of unexpected passion sets off quite a chain of events. Tristan vows to marry Valentine, but his father sends him to his inherited estate without an allowance and insists that he leave Valentine alone while she is reunited with her mother's family. Can Valentine trust Tristan to keep his promise to marry her?
This book was such a pleasant surprise for me - well-written and sweetly romantic - and I must admit that I would not have given it a look except that an author I enjoy recommended it on social media. The odd thing is that I don't remember now which author it was! In any case, I thoroughly enjoyed the story which was a quick read, and greatly appreciated that it was clean too.
©2008-2020 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.