This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
I expected July to be a generally quiet month with plenty of time at home, and so it was. Just not in all the ways I'd expected! A vacation our adult kids had planned was cancelled, a home improvement project that was scheduled had to be postponed, some activities had to be rescheduled, and we even have had to quarantine for awhile! Here are the books that helped keep me entertained during the month.
July's Books Completed and Reviewed
The Scarlet Pen by Jennifer Uhlarik - Emma is charmed into a hasty engagement but eventually finds it hard to remain loyal when a secret service agent's investigation of counterfeit money and violence keeps trailing Stephen's path. (Read my full review HERE)
Between the Wild Branches by Connilyn Cossette - Lukio has returned to his Philistine homeland and built a successful life there, and then he crosses paths with the Hebrew girl he'd once loved and lost. (Read my full review HERE)
The Inviting Life by Laura Calder - a charming little guidebook for making a comfortable and functional home that can be a welcoming place for entertaining guests. (Read my full review HERE)
The 5-Minute Visual Guide to the Bible by Michael Wittmer - A beautiful full-color guidebook to help you understand the major themes and stories of the Bible. (Read my full review HERE)
A Grave Matter - Anna Lee Huber - Kiera and Gage investigate a series of unusual grave robberies, and consider the possible next steps for their relationship. I'll soon need to get working on the next in the series as I re-read with the Lady Darby Read-Along group on Facebook. (Read my full review HERE)
The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict - The novelized story of Hedy Lamarr, a fascinating and very intelligent lady.
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - I'm finally reading this classic as part of an online book club. It's a long one, and I won't finish on time, but it's so good!
Britfield & The Rise of the Lion, Book II by C.R. Stewart - I had plans to review and promote this second book in the series for young readers, but there were delays in receiving my copy. I'm currently reading the Kindle version, and the book has already released, so my review will be coming later on.
A Study in Death by Anna Lee Huber
Speechless: Controlling Words, Controlling Minds by Michael Knowles
An Unexpected Peril by Deanna Raybourn
On my blogs recently . . .
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
And on HS Coffee Break:
This post will be linked at the July 2021 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-up Link-up and Giveaway hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction; and at the weekly reading list meme hosted at Book Date.
©2008-2021 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.




I had a few canceled/postponed events in July as well. Sorry you had to quarantine but hope everyone is well. "The Inviting Life" and "The 5 Minute Visual Guide to the Bible" both sound intriguing to me. I'll look into them!
ReplyDeletewow, Kym ... all kinds of new volumes to me!
ReplyDeletethanks.
Sorry you had to change plans, but looks like you had a good reading month. Lots of interesting titles.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about all the change of plans! Hope August is better for you. But it looks like you had some great books to keep you company!
ReplyDeleteEvery time someone talks about North and South, I think of the book by John Jakes. lol. A quiet summer can be nice too. Hope August goes better for you, we've gone back to a mask mandate here where I live, so that will be a change this month!
ReplyDeleteLisa Loves Literature
After this past year and a half, I'm more accepting of life's twists and turns. We also had unexpected trips and sad events in July, but also had so much to be thankful for. I hope your project has been rescheduled and your August is going well.
ReplyDelete