Friday, June 2

Friday Fun - First Lines for June 2, 2023

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. 


Only first lines in my post this week, because I'm featuring an audiobook I just started listening to, so I didn't want to mess around with jumping ahead to 56%. It's been ages since I listened to an audiobook, because I seem to have trouble following the storyline without something visual to focus on. Weirdly, I haven't noticed I have any trouble following the thread of podcasts. Anyway, this has grabbed my attention with the interesting situation of the lead character so hopefully I can track with it!

***************

"You remember Gearóid, your father's first cousin from Clare?"
"Do I?"
"Ye do! Two dogs and only one eye, never married - he came around the house when you were young a couple of times."

~From the beginning of A Man With One of Those Faces by Caimh McDonnell


The first time somebody tried to kill him was an accident.

The second time was deliberate.

Now Paul Mulchrone finds himself on the run with nobody to turn to except a nurse who has read one-too-many crime novels and a renegade copper with a penchant for violence. Together they must solve one of the most notorious crimes in Irish history . . . 

. . . or else they'll be history.

A Man With One of Those Faces is the first book in Caimh McDonnell's Dublin Trilogy, which melds fast-paced action with a distinctly Irish acerbic wit.



Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader.

*It's Book Beginnings on Fridays! Time to gather with our fellow book lovers and share the opening sentence (or so) of the books we are reading this week. Or share from a book that is on your mind right now -- whatever catches your fancy.

***************
RimSP button

First Line Fridays is hosted at Reading is My SuperPower

*Share the first line or two of the book closest to you, then visit other FLF participants.
*Please keep posts family friendly or clean reads.
*Link back to Reading is My SuperPower within your post or grab a button.

***************

©2008-2023 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.



5 comments:

  1. Interesting first lines. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading A Shadow in Moscow by Katherine Reay. It's a wild ride of a story.
    "Ingrid unlocked the apartment's front door and felt a cold creep up her spine."
    I hope you have an excellent weekend. Happy reading! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the books I mentioned in your wrap up that I'd like to read. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I was reading Abduction in the Dark by Jenna Night. The first line is: "The knocking at the front door was unexpected." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.