Listen, you heavens, and I will speak;
hear, you earth, the words of my mouth.
Let my teaching fall like rain
and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants.
I will proclaim the name of the LORD.
Oh, praise the greatness of our God!
He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
upright and just is he.
~Deuteronomy 32:1-4~
********************
This the beginning of The Song of Moses. This happens near the end of Moses' life as he is giving final instructions to Israel. In Deuteronomy 31, God tells Moses to write down the words of the song and teach it to the Israelites. And in the days and years to come, when Israel forgets and fails to keep the covenant, God says the song will be a reminder and will testify against them, because they and their children will not forget the words of the song. The song starts with a call to worship and then recounts all the mighty works of God in saving his people and bringing them out of slavery, and the many times he forgave them when they rebelled.
God says they will forget to keep the covenant, but they won't forget the words of the song. Music has a way of getting stuck in our heads and our hearts, and the words of songs we haven't heard in years will come back to us. May the songs we sing and learn and remember be songs that remind us that God gave us the songs in the first place.
********************
Moses came with Joshua son of Nun and spoke all the words of this song in the hearing of the people. When Moses finished reciting all these words to all Israel he said to them, "Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law. They are not just idle words for you - they are your life. By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess."
~Deuteronomy 32:44-47~
Love this scripture and your words as well. I was raised Catholic and while I don’t have a connection with any one particular church I prefer to attend churches that have lots of singing and music. How can you stop yourself from singing when you know the love of God.
ReplyDeleteKym, this post was such a blessing to me. I read Deut. 32 yesterday morning. My post this music is about songs. I am so very grateful for the lessons learned from His Word and from songs. May I never forget! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteThat's so true about music. What a solemn but needful reminder.
ReplyDeleteSo much of the scripture that I have committed to memory has stuck because it is set to music. I had never noticed this connection with Deuteronomy!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I've read this before, but had forgotten. What a great reminder this morning. I love the singing in Church the best of all because of the feelings it stirs up, and the emotions that come with it. Happy Sunday.
ReplyDeleteLove this post and the reminder of that song. Such worship in saying it now.
ReplyDeleteLove this post and the reminder of that song. Such worship in saying it now.
ReplyDeleteAmen. Thank you. My spirit is encouraged.
ReplyDelete