Monday, July 30

Monthly Bookshelf Review - July 2018

This post contains affiliate links.



July's Books Completed and Reviewed

Together Forever (Orphan Train) by Jody Hedlund - Marianne Neumann becomes a placing agent on the orphan train in hopes of helping children and of finding her own younger sister. Her partner on her first placement trip is Drew Brady and a dare becomes a wedding proposal.  (Read my full review HERE.)
She couldn't stop from fearing that somehow Drew would miss getting back to the train on time and she'd be all alone with the children. The more distraught she became, the rowdier and louder the children grew.
 

A Daring Venture by Elizabeth Camden - Dr Rosalind Werner is a biochemist dedicated to making public water supplies clean and safe. Nicholas Drake is the new Commissioner of Water for New York, who has the same goal, but is very skeptical of the chlorination technique Rosalind and her colleagues have developed. (Read my full review HERE.)
Nick must never learn of Dr. Leal's plan to release the chlorine early, or that she played any part in covering it up. As fast as Nick's respect for her had flared to life, it would vanish in a flash if he was betrayed.




During July I continued reading:


Delilah: Treacherous Beauty by Angela Hunt - How did Delilah meet Samson, and why was she willing to accept a bribe to betray him? Why did Samson fall for her deception? This novel presents some fictional background and detail answering those questions.
Silver was a rare and precious commodity, worth more than its weight in gold. Yet the cerens were willing to pay eleven hundred pieces of silver for Samson?

 

During July I started reading:

Where the Fire Falls: A Vintage National Parks Novel by Karen Barnett - Olivia Rutherford is an artist commissioned to do paintings of Yosemite, where she meets Clark Johnson. Will she let down her guard and be herself with Clark?
Olivia had changed her own name, dyed her hair, become a new person -- all at Frank's bidding. Was this really so different?




Condemn Me Not: Accused of Witchcraft by Heather B. Moore - this is apparently based on the true story of the author's ancestor who was accused of witchcraft during the notorious Salem with trials.
The jailer leads me into another room. Ten pairs of eyes settle on me, belonging to nine women and the surgeon John Barton, the man in charge of the witches' examinations. My heart sinks at the sight of the surgeon and the jury of women.





During July I shelved:

In the Region of the Summer Stars (Eirlandia Series) by Stephen R. Lawhead - I had great intentions of reading this book several weeks ago, but got busy and had a couple of review books to read. I'm hoping to pick it up again soon, but life continues to be busy, so I'm not sure.





Coming Up in August!
©2008-2018 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

7 comments:

  1. I hope to visit Yosemite within the next year or two, so maybe I need to read the novel on that one! I like to read fiction (and nonfiction) before I visit a place to get the feel for it. :) Thanks for sharing your list, Kym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to read Jody Hedlund's series. It sounds interesting. I've enjoyed other books by her. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved Yosemite! I think it would be great to read a book set there. (And I love Lisa's idea above!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some good sounding books Kym, you've made me want to read the first two books, I like the story line of both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Together Forever sounds adorable... I LOVE books about the orphan train... there is something so compelling about that time and all the children! :) Happy reading in August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had to add the Verity Kent mystery to my TBT list all because of that cover!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to return A Daring Venture to the library before reading it, hope to get it back soon. The Verity Kent books looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.